• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

600E question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fiveohhh

How do you find out the stepping on the chip. Kinda new to this O/C thing. And I can't get it over 124 fsb before it goes to windows, and than freezes after a bit. I'm using it on a p3v4x, and 256m of mushkin rev 2 memory. Thanks in advance for any help

Hi Fiveohhh,
for the stepping mask of your chip you can use Sisoft Sandra, looking into the module called Cpu & Bios Information.

What are your temps @idle & full load?

after a few mins of cpu burn in it get to about 66. and at idle sticks around 45. also For the heatsink I have a Vantec 5030. pretty big and dual fans

William (Jul 25, 2001 05:12 p.m.):
those temps are quite high.

In case it matters thats at 800. Tried it again after I moved the voltage to 1.70. seems fine so far, gonna try in 3d soon

That's definitely your IDLE temp? I have a 600E cB0 step, with an Alpha P3125 hsf (twin YS Tech 27cfm fans onboard), and running this chip at 1.95v/159FSB/954MHz I never hit 40C under LOAD....

Sounds like your heatsink might not be sitting perfectly flush/flat on the cpu die, or your temp probe (Asus Probe used for those temp readings?? ) is not accurate for some reason..... 45c for an idle temp is very high, I don't even wanna know what you're running under load....

Mr B

is there any way to calibrate the probe? even when the chip is at 600. i believe the idle temp was about 36.....and it got to about 50 under load.. . . not at my computer now, but when I get back I'll check the stepping when i gwet back and post it. Thanks so far for your input. it's most appreciated

i have a 600 E, and an ASUS P3V4X, and i do think that your temps are wrong, because so are mine, i have a Globalwin VGSO8H, and i cant imagine my temps going to 53.....but thats i read some vague articles, about this mobo having some temp reading problems....note...mbm and ASUS Probe read the same temp....

Well I looked at the stepping , and I think this is what it was, (my short term memory is shot=P) cA2. Not sure what that means, but I also ran it at 600, and at 800. and both times the temps were about the same, they varied maybe 3deg. With the 600 hundred being a little cooler. Took off the hsf and cleaned it up and put a nice thin coat of thermal paste on. Than tried running at 800 again, and i keep getting the message that its missing somefiles. right after ther windows boot screen. It was running just fine at 800 about 30 mins before that. *thinking maybe this o/c thing isn't as easy as I thought* gonna get a fresh tube of thermal paste tomorrow, and hope that may help a bit.

I got the new thermal paste today and after applying it my temps for idle went down to about 36, and my full load temps lowered to about 55. I'm fairly happy with that, but am gonna try and find a machine shop that can mill the surface for me, I felt it and you can feel the "grains" of the wood. Next step gonna find my old cpu hsf, and put it on the clock generator.

lol, your computer is almost identical to mine :), ihave a Ca2 running at 840,828 very stable, but it gets iffy at 852....

I am interested in the temp problems with the Asus thermoresistor or is it a problem with the software used to read the temps. I have a 600E in a ms-6309@800 with retail hsf/no Air Conditioning(90 outside) and it never goes above 43C. that is with crappy thermal compound and intel hsf! there is no way taht your temps with a good hsf and AS2 could be that high 53C is hot almost AMD hot!!!!!! lol

el (Jul 27, 2001 08:43 a.m.):
there is no way taht your temps with a good hsf and AS2 could be that high 53C is hot almost AMD hot!!!!!! lol

You don't wanna know my temps, P3V4X 600E cA2 @ 803 1.9V PEP66+AS2, Idle 40C and [4]89C!!![/4] After I played some mp3's and surfed the web. :'( ?

KILLorBE (Jul 27, 2001 09:45 a.m.):
el (Jul 27, 2001 08:43 a.m.):
there is no way taht your temps with a good hsf and AS2 could be that high 53C is hot almost AMD hot!!!!!! lol

You don't wanna know my temps, P3V4X 600E cA2 @ 803 1.9V PEP66+AS2, Idle 40C and [4]89C!!![/4] After I played some mp3's and surfed the web. :'( ?

89C...holy shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht...thats crazy....i dont trust my P3v4X temp anymore

Today I put another fan in my case, and put a hs on my clock generator. And now am running 800 idle about 40 full loads at about 56, and I still have my voltage at 1.65:) I can do windows at 140fsb, but 3d games drop to the desktop after a bit. The new fan took me down about 2-3 degrees. Gettting a new case soon. so hopefully can ake care of that situation all together. also what do cpu idle programs do I put cpu idle on my pc and it doesn't seem to do anything temps are all still the same. . . . .

you really need to get the temps lower. Anything over 50c seems to effect my performance, so I've dropped the temps down considerably with a Glaciator hs. Maybe the next best thing to watercooling.

Since temps are your major problem (so it seems) I'm going to move your post to Cooling which will hopefully get you some more responses. Hoot is probably one of the most knowledgeable for cooling and maybe he'll jump in this thread.

Back