• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

600lbs Steel I-Beam Desk/Computer Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Update!
The desk is now at my house! YAY!

I finished off the clear-coat and let it sit for 24hrs before moving it. I'm really excited about how it all looks after the clear-coat. The frame looks awesome now. It is a darker, almost wet looking finish. I used a satin clear-coat which looks really really cool on the copper pipes. It gave them this cool matte looking finish. Those combined makes it look great!

We used the forklift to get the desk onto the trailer then 4 people plus a furniture cart to get it through the door at my house. It's now sitting on 4x4 blocks so I can get to the bottom side of the legs to finish the wiring. Hopefully I'll get everything finished up this week or next.

Oh I also purchased another 64gb of RAM for a total of 128gb. :D

3.jpg 9.jpg 8.jpg 7.jpg 6.jpg 5.jpg 4.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 10.jpg

Also here are 3 of the timelapse videos from the piping process:

FYI. There is a furniture maker (highend) that uses actual glue for the finish. They simply brush it on and let it dry. It creates a clearcoat that's not as glossy as it is clear but very hardworking. I don't even think they sand afterwards and don't really know what actual glue they use (Rhino??). Personally I would have used pex or something instead of the copper. And if copper I would have tried to have it nickeled instead for a metallic look (hate chrome-ugh). Can't wait to see this beast up and running (in 2022 lol).

Who did your tile, man? Who does offset like that? That's terrible!
Table looks good though!!
How do you set monitors and other stuff on it? Will the top be covered?

Who did your tile, man? Who does offset like that? That's terrible!
Table looks good though!!
How do you set monitors and other stuff on it? Will the top be covered?
Thanks... we chose the title offset. Looks odd in that image but if you see the rest of the house it actually looks good.

Top is going to be the same wood as the stands for the pumps and reservoirs. I haven't completed it yet but here is a shot with it when we were test fitting it. d31784e3c05873378a9de02a406c86b8.jpg 2512a38667b8409ff66350b72e63e8e7.jpg

O ok. Well as long as you like it, man. Plank tile is the new "in"(trendy) thing for quite a few years now. I typically do random pattern like wood floor..

I forgot about the top, you mentioned it at the beginning somewhere. For some odd reason, I thought the desk was going to be the other way around. A lot of real estate on that table. Can have a tiny aquarium in the corner:D

O ok. Well as long as you like it, man. Plank tile is the new "in"(trendy) thing for quite a few years now. I typically do random pattern like wood floor..

I forgot about the top, you mentioned it at the beginning somewhere. For some odd reason, I thought the desk was going to be the other way around. A lot of real estate on that table. Can have a tiny aquarium in the corner:D
No worries. :)

Yes I'm going to start the top this weekend. Hopefully have this thing finished by end of next week.

I've been looking forward to seeing the wood integrated with the steel. This project has just been really cool to me. Steel, copper, wood. Thank you for sharing this every step of the way.

I've been looking forward to seeing the wood integrated with the steel. This project has just been really cool to me. Steel, copper, wood. Thank you for sharing this every step of the way.
Hi Don,
Thank you. I am anxious to get it integrated as well. It's been such a long project. Haha

From the Movie 13th Warrior :)

Give an Arab a sword, he makes a knife.
When you die, can I give that to my daughter?

When it comes time to SELL THE HOUSE, DOES the COMPUTER come with it????:comp:
The COMPUTER is in the LEFT leg, SO the BEER must be in the RIGHT???:popcorn:
DO you have an OVERWHELMING fear that someone is going to STEAL your COMPUTER??:confused:
This COMPUTER has more STEEL than most CARS, SO when do you plan on ADDING the SPINNING RIMS??:rofl:

I just have to ask :chair: If you sell it, do you deliver for free or is it "PICK-UP" only ???:facepalm:

Tile looks fine. It's all about having the least amount of actual cuts. Offset is strictly for the base and the flooring. Biggest mistake is usually in not keeping with the pattern inlay which should be the same for every piece (not random).
Any timeline on when you expect to be up and running? I doubt this will ever be finished. Epic is truly an understatement... This is Home and Garden worthy. Can I say I am jealous just a bit.

OKAY..... On a serious note :)

Have you thought about the monitor or Monitors????

You said that this COULD be a gaming rig. Would you go with 3 x 1920x1080 (total = 4K) monitors???
Or since this is an "OVERKILL" build, 1 TV @ 65" - 80" 4K ????

Tile looks fine. It's all about having the least amount of actual cuts. Offset is strictly for the base and the flooring. Biggest mistake is usually in not keeping with the pattern inlay which should be the same for every piece (not random).
Any timeline on when you expect to be up and running? I doubt this will ever be finished. Epic is truly an understatement... This is Home and Garden worthy. Can I say I am jealous just a bit.
Lol hoping by the end of this week. Going to work on it as much as possible and this week's work load is low.

Thanks for the kind words.

OKAY..... On a serious note :)

Have you thought about the monitor or Monitors????

You said that this COULD be a gaming rig. Would you go with 3 x 1920x1080 (total = 4K) monitors???
Or since this is an "OVERKILL" build, 1 TV @ 65" - 80" 4K ????
Monitors are a good question. I was hoping the new 4k 144hz monitors would have been out by now but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. I currently have a 32" LG 4k IPS. I'll keep that. I'll also have a 65" 4k TV that will be hanging on the wall for editing.

Monitors are a good question. I was hoping the new 4k 144hz monitors would have been out by now but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. I currently have a 32" LG 4k IPS. I'll keep that. I'll also have a 65" 4k TV that will be hanging on the wall for editing.

With all that desk space and with such a heavy duty desk... 3 Sony GDM-FW900? :chair:

160Hz max refresh rate, native resolution of 2304x1440@80Hz, max restitution of 2560x1600@68hz, 0ms response time. No interpolation at non native resolutions, no glare at any angle, true black. Far better color then any IPS if you know how to calibrate it.

Id say it would fit the built nicely, but I can't see you wanting 3 trinitron monitors.
Of course you'd be up the river without a paddle trying to find a GPU to handle all that over VGA or BNC.

With all that desk space and with such a heavy duty desk... 3 Sony GDM-FW900? :chair:

160Hz max refresh rate, native resolution of 2304x1440@80Hz, max restitution of 2560x1600@68hz, 0ms response time. No interpolation at non native resolutions, no glare at any angle, true black. Far better color then any IPS if you know how to calibrate it.

Id say it would fit the built nicely, but I can't see you wanting 3 trinitron monitors.
Of course you'd be up the river without a paddle trying to find a GPU to handle all that over VGA or BNC.

Eww... CRTs. The nostalgia factor is nice, but then after a few minutes you realize the video quality just isn't what you remembered :) And then you also realize that one measly CRT is pulling down more power than your GPU.

Eww... CRTs. The nostalgia factor is nice, but then after a few minutes you realize the video quality just isn't what you remembered :) And then you also realize that one measly CRT is pulling down more power than your GPU.

Youd be amazed what a higher end Trinitron with fresh or revamped tube looks like when property configured. I sold a $2500 26" ips for a crt. Keep in mind their analog so just about any weak link can kill the image.

But no, they arnt for everyone. I was just being funny.

As for power draw, it can be high on some units. My 19" mitsubishi pulls about 220w. But not all crts pull that much, some pull far more.

It's been a little while since my last update. I've been busy with work but have finally had a chance to get working on the system again.

The first thing I had to get finished was drilling and tapping new holes for the new PCI-E Riser cables. The hole pattern on the new ones is different then the old ones so that was annoying. Overall I feel WAY more comfortable with the new cables and the way they are bent then the old cables. These just seem to be able to handle the bends better without looking stressed. The new cables are the LinkUp 12gb/s versions.

After that was completed I did one final bench test and everything looked like it was running correctly. I couldn't run for long since I didn't have any water flowing. Still ran for roughly 90 seconds.

Once that was completed I installed everything back into the desk. Once the system was in I started on putting all the piping back in the desk. This took a little longer than I wanted. It had been to long since I took it apart and didn't remember how they all went. Eventually I figured it out.

After getting them all installed I decided to pressure test the system using compressed air. I filled my compressor/tank and pressurized each loop to around 5-6psi. Right away I found a few small leaks.1 being a union, another beeing one of the bleeder screws. After fixing this I refilled each loop and let them sit over-night. I figured if they both had air in the AM they would be good to add water. The next morning only the CPU loop was still holding air. I then added about 10lbs of pressure to the GPU loop to try and find the other leak. Within 10-15 seconds I heard a loud whoosh of air. The copper tube coming out of the reservoir had blown off. This I wasn't expecting to happen. I pushed it back together and re-pressurized to 6-7lbs. I took soapy water and went over all the other fittings and couldn't seem to find the other leak. I decided to fill the loops with water and hopefully find the leak that way.

After filling the system and running it for a bit, I found another leak. It was another union. This one unfortunately meant I had to disassemble the GPU loop since it was the one between the two GPUs and I can't get tools in there with both cards in there. I took them apart, fixed it and put it back together. During the filling process, which consists of me pumping the coolant into the desk using a 500GPH pond pump, I blew another tube off from the reservoir. This was super frustrating and I didn't have any issues with this before. I'm not sure what changed. Anyway it blew a ton of water all over the place. I decided to swap those fittings out for the hard-line compression style fittings. After this I feel way more comfortable with them not coming off.

After refilling again with just regular distilled water, I ran the system for a good 2hrs without finding any additional leaks. YAY! Time to drain and fill with the cleaning solution (SysPrep). Even with my planning, draining this thing SUCKS!!! It takes almost 35-40 minutes to do and requires a compressor to force the water out. I should try a wetvac sometime next... Anyway after draining, I mixed to cleaning solution and filled the loops. The system is currently running now with the cleaning solution for the next 6hrs. I don't think the system is that dirty so I don't think it needs to go for the full 12. Later tonight I'll drain the system again and fill with more distilled water to rinse the system out. I'll let it run for an hour or two then sit overnight, then run again in the morning for an hour or two. Then I'll drain it and mix the coolant and add it in! :D

I have to work all day tomorrow but hopefully Saturday I can get the wood-top done and also start on all the custom cables. I ordered them yesterday and hope to have them by either tomorrow or Saturday. Once those are finished I can start wiring up the rest of the cables and get this thing finished!

I also need to get the other furniture for the office and clean out all the junk in there. I also need to mount the 4k TV to the wall and then build my storage server.

Now for the pictures and video of the loop running!

#cmws18

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Hey guys,
Sorry I've been silent but it's finally finished! I'll post final pictures and video in the next day or two but here are a few teaser pictures for you. 7e7edbd80793e22e72cf37d744a8131b.jpg 94fedd67643ed032ad1d2c14d647bee3.jpg bf6ac67edf8f958ab301995e5d74c930.jpg 3a3fca73a6a0293a3bffe336e1dd55fc.jpg

Back