• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Intel Comments on Fake Processors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdcomp

Classic Administrator
Intel Comments on Fake Processors
by mdcomp

[H]ard|OCP is reporting that Intel commented on the fake processors distributed by Newegg late last week:
"Intel has been made aware of the potential for counterfeit i7 920 packages in the marketplace and is working to how many and/or where they are being sold. The examples we have seen are not Intel products but are counterfeits. Buyers should contact their place of purchase for a replacement and/or should contact their local law enforcement agency if the place of purchase refuses to help."​
Newegg has yet to comment on Intel's statement, which seems to contradict Newegg's initial statement on Friday...

Click here to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom).

Last edited:
Preliminary word from Newegg was received earlier this weekend, unfortunately I was out of town and hadn't gotten to the message any sooner. As is typical, Newegg is ensuring their customers are in good hands and the problem is taken care of:

Hi Matt,

We were notified of a batch of products from one of our suppliers which included counterfeit CPUs. Newegg would never intentionally stock nor sell counterfeit products and we have verified our remaining inventory is completely legitimate. Newegg is in the process of contacting all the customers who received these products and are offering a replacement with expedited shipping, or a full refund, whichever the customer is interested in.

Thank You,
Newegg Support

Oh boy, this gets more fun by the second!

Next thing I know there are going to be men in suits showing up at everyones house n' stuff...

/generic PR

They didn't really say anything of value. Who knows if they'll ever figure out who really did it.

People are pointing fingers left and right though lol

All newegg is doing now is pretending they didn't issue the press release saying they were Intel demo units.

I think what they meant by 'demo' is 'display unit'. The blanks used in retail stores that look like the product. They're used so shoplifters can grab and run but not with a real CPU. The release was ill-advised but didn't have ill intent except to get an explanation out there. They've agreed they are counterfeit now. Except for putting their foot in their mouth, they've handled this well. Their customers are being treated right and that's the most important part, at least IMHO.

Yup, mine too. Could have done without being lied to, but given a corporate scandal you have to assume that at least half the statements are false.

I think what they meant by 'demo' is 'display unit'. The blanks used in retail stores that look like the product. They're used so shoplifters can grab and run but not with a real CPU. The release was ill-advised but didn't have ill intent except to get an explanation out there. They've agreed they are counterfeit now. Except for putting their foot in their mouth, they've handled this well. Their customers are being treated right and that's the most important part, at least IMHO.

I agree, Newegg worded the release poorly, I think you nailed what they were trying to say in regard to "demo".
The bottom line is Newegg has acted promptly to take care of duped customers. Their actions have spoken louder than any ill worded release.

A bit confussed!!?

I am a small time pc hardware salesman. I called newegg a couple of years ago and they assured me that they didn't use distributors, but bought direct and sold direct.

Now I heard that sometimes they purchased items from D&H, but if D&H is their distributor, then D&H is hosing the crap out of me and every other small retailer.

Often enough Neweggs retail prices are lower than my wholesale cost from D&H, Malabs, ASI, and Synnex. I have all 4 of them. Damn greedy Sobs.

Anyway as far as the topic it is not surprising. In 08 D&H got in trouble with Microsoft for selling fake COA's and they were punished for it.

The processors actually were bought from a company named IPEX, not D&H, so they are off the hook on this issue. Newegg says they have dropped IPEX as a vendor they use any more too.

IPEX have a cloaking device on?

I cannot find a link in any article over this to a Ipex site, no information where the company is located etc.

Look what I found

A story from Channelweb. Asi denied owning IPEX, or being a partner of IPEX and they stated that they are a competitor. It was stated that they had some of the same share holders. I did a little digging.

This is from doing a Who is on ipexinfo.com

Administrative
Contact, Technical Contact

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Asia Source Inc.
48289 Fremont Blvd
Fremont, CA 94538
US

[email protected]

Now doesn't that set off some red flags.

It is funny how this story just died. Intel investigated but refused to seek legal action and stated the ball was in Neweggs court. I have seen nothing else on this story which even raises more questions and suspicions.

Why Intel won't seek legal action: This is my theory. The suppliers buy legit from intel, but also from the black market. Since these distributors have the same investors or use the same purchasing group. Intel knows by seeking legal action it could actually hurt their business relation.

I agree there is more to it, and once crap rolled far enough downhill (IPEX), it just got brushed under the rug from the public perspective. Not sure whats gone on behind closed doors, but no one is saying anything else.

While ASI claims to be a completely separate entity than IPEX, I've also seen that information from their WHOIS record previously - that makes me think "why register your competitor's domain name?"

Also, I've seen an unreliable source claim that they have some of the same people holding important business positions at both companies. Board members, president, or some other C-level people were claimed to allegedly be some of the same people at both companies. That is completely unsubstantiated, and I don't have any awareness of if its true or not. If you wanted to dig a bit more however, you may find some more reliable information in that department.

That is just speculation I have read somewhere, which I don't recall. It's likely garbage, and should be taken with a grain of salt.

But I think you are on the right track Wolfenstein. If you wanted to talk about anything else you dig up, and you have solid evidence supporting any claims you make - PM me your email address and you can write about it on Overclockers.com frontpage. We try to avoid speculation however, or taking a public stance based off of weak or unverified sources.

It's a matter of connecting the dots.

You have to wonder why there are not a hundred or a thousand competitors that can actually compete with newegg.

Back