• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

64 degrees at idle!!! HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcastleberg

Registered
I'm working on a computer for a friend. (NOT overclocked) He's been having problems with it for quite a while and he's asked me to fix it for him. Well it took me about a minute to figure out whats wrong. This chip is running WAY too hot! I've let it sit here idling in BIOS for the last 10 minutes and I've watched it climb all the way up to 64 degrees (32 degrees case temp). I need some help fixing this though. My friend has been trying to fix it himself for the last couple months, he's tried another cpu, another heat sink and fan, and another motherboard. ALL have been exhibiting the same symptoms (mainly lockups and reboots in games because the cpu is getting too hot). Now, I know I may not be able to get some supercool temps without some bad assed heatsink or whatever, but theres no reason this thing shouldn't run at some perfectly stable temps with the present heatsink and fan. I'm gonna list the system specs that I know of and then maybe you guys can give me some clues on what I should try. Thanks!

Athlon XP 2500+
Gigabyte motherboard Nforce2 chipset
512 mb ram
Radeon 9600
Seagate 120GB hard drive

If it's stock, it could still be overvolted by accident.

First off, try clearing your CMOS to reset the bios to defaults. This will lower the voltage down to default setting, which should be around 1.5 to 1.6 volts.

If it's over 1.5-1.6 volts, i would lower it down to 1.5 volts...

Also, can we get a pic of what the heatsink/fan looks like?

Also check the case fan setup..

Make sure the one in the front is pulling in, and the one in the rear is blowing out.

Well to be perfectly honest, AMD's run hotter than the devil's ***.

Anything can cause certain variables in temperatures, what is the CFM of the fan? Is the case dirty? Are the fans dirty? Is the heatsink making proper contact with the CPU by the use of Thermal Paste/Stock Thermal Wax?... Do you have 4-5 100W bulbs running nearby? (That's a joke...).

Perhaps some more powerful fans and good ventilation for the case to get fresh air might do the trick? Try setting it out in the wide open and running it, see what happens then?

Wow thats way high! Sounds like a badly seated heatsink, even stock ones aint that bad. Reseat it with some thermal paste for a start. Does he have case fans? If not get some case fans in there, an exhaust rear and an intake front. Should help a lot.
Whats the fan like on the heatsink? If it will take an 80mm get something like a Smartfan II which comes with a speed controller and fit that on there. Also could try a duct to get fresh outside air to the HSF.
I think the main problem is the Heatsink because his case temps aint exceptionally high at 32°C, though theres maybe room for improvement...

is it crowded inside the case. seems like no ventilation. maby u could bust the dremel out and out a blowhole in the top ir another intake over the side. try removing any thermal pads from the hs and put some as5 on it. remove the fan grills maby as well. fron intake rear exhaust top blowhole and a side intake is perfect. stleast clean up the wires and put a blowhole in.

yeah..check the voltage..and lower it a little if u can, but its not bad, if it starts touching 75..start to worry...amd chips are rated to go as high as 84

this is funny I had a friend two weeks ago with the same problem. Of course his motherboard was some wierd DELL proprietary version of the A7N8X that only ran the fan when his CPU was under load so his load temps wher better than his idle temps. Any way we swithched out his HSF (because ha had a really bad stock one and the case had no other fans in it (scary I know) so we neede something a bit beefer since his abient temps where so high. And swithched his fan to run on the 12V line so it was constantly on (of course this made the motherboard yell at us for not haveing a CPU fan but it was easily tricked with a sumper wire hehehe)

SO in answer to your question:

Check the voltage both in bios and with MBM5

make sure none of the fans have died and that all the fan connectors are ok (i.e. take off the side pannel while its running and make sure the fans are going)

Make sure you are getting good contact with the HSF (take it off and you should see some bare copper from the HS and a few really small bubbles of AS5 if you applyed it right and it has cured well)

after that pray, pray that the AMD fairy comes and makes it all better, or you could take it to a repair shop either one works:p

This is kind of weird, I popped the spare XP 2800+ chip in and immediately it was at 43 degrees and climbing. Theres no way a chip that had been sitting in an unplugged motherboard for weeks should be 43 degrees as soon as I plug it in...

I checked the voltage with Aida32 and its fluxuating between 1.70 and 1.71. This is probably too high but unfortunately I cannot change it. The BIOS on this board is ****e. The only options it gives me for VCORE is to raise it 5%, 7.5%, or 10%. Nothing to lower it. I tried resetting CMOS just to see but its still the same voltage. I'm thinking this might be one source of extra heat, the 2800 (and 2500 for that matter) should be at a lower voltage, right?

Should be 1.65 and no higher. Maybe the powersupply is overvolting it. You could try doing a pin mod to force a lower voltage like 1.6 so the board will give it 1.65, it seems like it's overvolting by 0.05v

ya man try a diff PSu

1.7i would set it at 1.5 and work from there but seems ull need a new mobo for that

its the voltageon the mobo a bad psu or the hs isant set right

(all ben said before but w/e)

try a new psu first then if thet doesnt work cange the mobo so u can change the vcore

Could be a bad thermistor...

When you are running in windows touch the heatsink a little bit... Is it too hot to keep your hand there for a few seconds? If so, then the thermistor is good and that's not the issue... If not, see the above posts for solutions..

mcastleberg said:
I checked the voltage with Aida32 and its fluxuating between 1.70 and 1.71. This is probably too high but unfortunately I cannot change it. The BIOS on this board is ****e. The only options it gives me for VCORE is to raise it 5%, 7.5%, or 10%. Nothing to lower it. I tried resetting CMOS just to see but its still the same voltage. I'm thinking this might be one source of extra heat, the 2800 (and 2500 for that matter) should be at a lower voltage, right?

That is absolutely nothing to worry about. In no way will that make your temps so high. My board(which is an Asus and are known for it) overvolts my CPU(2800+ XP) like crazy, i fluctuate between 1.74 to 1.76 vcore and my current temps are 26°C Case, 33°C CPU.
Plus, you cant always trust those voltage readings anyway.

The Power Supply is an Antec True 430w. Those are supposed to be the best PSUs, do you think it could still be overvolting?

EDIT - Ok, I'm gonna buy some AS5 and a thermaltake Volcano hsf, I've seen that there are several models, which one is the best?

Last edited:
I wouldnt worry about it overvolting by so little. It can be a number of things that can be giving you that reading. The motherboard is overvolting it, the readout is false or its the PSU. Thats a decent quality PSU so i'm doubting its that. Plus, as i said, it wouldnt give you CPU readings so high anyway running at just 1.71vcore. Mine runs at 1.74 to 1.76.
Have you tried a different HSF?

mcastleberg said:
The Power Supply is an Antec True 430w. Those are supposed to be the best PSUs, do you think it could still be overvolting?

EDIT - Ok, I'm gonna buy some AS5 and a thermaltake Volcano hsf, I've seen that there are several models, which one is the best?

have you tried running it with the case off, just to see what temperatures you would get? and what's the temperature like in the room you've placed it in? how tidy are the wires inside, anything obstructing airflow to the cpu's hsf?

Yes I've got another one with a copper base that has given me the same sorry results. I tried a different thermal paste that I got from Radio Shack and now I've got the idle down to about 57 degrees and I was playing Unreal Tournament 2004 in Onslaught mode for 20-30 minutes and the temperature didn't go over 64 degrees. Still crappy but nowhere near the 80 degrees it was doing when my friend gave it to me!

intx said:
also, what motherboard are you using? could be bad temp sensors.

does that have on-die sensor support, and have you checked those sensors?

Back