• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Getting Touchy-Feely: Buying a New Laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Getting Touchy-Feely: Buying a New Laptop
by David

I’m looking for a laptop. My old one is rather … well, old. It’s struggling rather often now, so I’ve scoped out a few replacements.

... Return to the article to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom).

The SSD will make the most difference, in fact if you put one in your old Lappy you might find you do not need a new one at all. My wife's laptop has lower specs then yours and it went to 17 sec start and 5 secs down with a new 64GB ssd. Its using Windows 7, probably as fast as anything new.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I had considered an SSD in my current laptop but I find it lacking in CPU power as well - I run a lot of curve-fitting software which is heavily CPU dependant. The unit itself is too big, and the battery is beyond knackered.

The Asus laptops look really good, the G51Jx particularly. Finding it in the UK is impossible though - I can't find the GTX360/Full HD model anywhere or I quite probably would have bought one by now.

Definitely look at the Sony CW27FX. I can play BFBC2 on medium settings 16x9 pretty dang smooth! :thup:

I bought a laptop case from Lambda-Tek after reading their reviews on pricegrabber. I was very impressed about the level of prompt communication from their site. Emails from them:

Receipt of Order: 12.36 pm
order confirmation for order LAMBDA1274355314: 12.37 pm
order LAMBDA1274355314 dispatched: 13.02 pm

Granted, that was just for a simple laptop sleeve, but it was better than I've seen through most amazon and other orders.

Let me know how it goes if you decided to do it. -- Paul

Back