• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

650 watts sufficient for 2x rx480s while remaining efficient?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
does the g3 have all the connectors you need or will you need a pcie adapter?
I see a 500 is needed for a single 480 rig, over clocked so a 650 might be a little close.

lokking at numbers,

cards 160 watts x2= 320
mother board and cpu, 200 at the worst gives us 520, so 650 will do the trick.

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I wouldnt push the cards and cpu to the limit, but it should do fine.

Not sure what efficiency has to do with this and power use... look some JG reviews and see how flat the efficiency curve is supp. Its literally a matter of 1-2% from 20% to 100% load.

Unless you [email protected] or something, go g3 or g2. Youll nwver make up the price premium of the platinum unit unless its under load 24/7.

trents

I think you would be okay but I'd feel more comfortable with a 750 watt unit.

OP
S

Suppressor1137

the price of the p2 650 was the same as the g3 650. Which is why i asked :) Not sure what the real difference is. I see a HDB fan vs...idk what in favor. Anyways, thanks for the input!

I just realized something;

Why crossfire when I can sell the rx480 and bridge the cost to vega or gtx 1080ti?

lmao, logic.

Still, the question remains valid because of the psu itself. Thanks for the input guys.