• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Biostar TA890FXE Motherboard Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Biostar TA890FXE Motherboard Review
by splat

Achieving superior performance from less expensive hardware was the main reason overclocking appealed to me severals years ago. In recent years, Biostar has really stepped up to the plate to fill the performance-on-a-budget roll, and I’ve personally owned several of their boards. The TA890FXE takes the high end AMD 890FX chipset and aims to get it in the hands of more budget conscious buyers. With any luck this motherboard will be able to play with the big boys, for instance the Asus Crosshair Formula IV we reviewed recently.

b890fx_IMG_2787-300x225.jpg
... Return to article to continue reading.

digg | reddit | stumbleupon

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom).

Last edited by a moderator:
Good review! I agree the BIOS could have been consolidated a bit more, it takes a while to get used to. I'm also glad your results matched mine as far as base clock overclocking and trying to get RAM past 1800mhz. The highest base clock I was able to run stable was around 265 with a 965BE. The highest RAM speed I achieved was ~1866mhz...ish. Sorry to say my 1090t hasn't faired much better, though I haven't tested it as thoroughly.

Thanks for doing a review on the "red headed step child" of overclocking! :thup:

This should have been put in the motherboard section of the forum.

This board is beautiful. I bought one recently and have had some minor issues but nothing to scoff at, considering my budget is always tight this was the best value I've ever gotten. Like mentioned above combined with a 955BE and a decent video card you've got your self a gaming pc to be tangled with!

I'm amazed to that this thing can get a 955BE up to 7Ghz! Now that makes me happy not to mention the posted HWBot link even has the same RAM as my self, I smell some awesome OC's in progress! Kudos on the review splat!

Last edited:
This board is beautiful. I bought one recently and have had some minor issues but nothing to scoff at, considering my budget is always tight this was the best value I've ever gotten. Like mentioned above combined with a 955BE and a decent video card you've got your self a gaming pc to be tangled with!

I'm amazed to that this thing can get a 955BE up to 7Ghz! Now that makes me happy not to mention the posted HWBot link even has the same RAM as my self, I smell some awesome OC's in progress! Kudos on the review splat!

hah don't get too optimistic...you're not going to be able to reach 7ghz on regular old air cooling (...think LN2...)

Nah I'm so awesome Air cooler with do fine :D I just use the stock heat sink right? :p All jokes aside I'm still pretty optimistic if the 955BE and this board could reach a 7Ghz bench mark think of "lower" end capabilities that will be much more achievable talking about 4+Ghz

"...think LN2.."
I think LN2 + liquid helium...
That will sure get ya to 7Ghz if the board, RAM, CPU and PSU are capable of it.
:fight:

I'd like to try LN2 with it, my first run at Dry Ice with the TA890FXE got me into the 5ghz plus range on all six cores. I think it's got more in it too, had some RAM issues, lol.

saw your thread, that looked like fun. i definitely want to give dry ice a try at some point soon.

saw your thread, that looked like fun. i definitely want to give dry ice a try at some point soon.

Thanks! It is, I've completely given up on water...I'd rather just be happy on air and wait for the weekends to DICE/LN2 bench...much more rewarding.

It's really not that difficult, I talked myself out of it for years. $10 in art gum, a $10 Shamwow, some $5 pipe insulation, a ~$100 Dice Pot....couple trips to Ace hardware and $20 dollars in Dry Ice and your benching at -75c. :D

I wouldn't recommend it on something you need or want to use everyday (stuff happens) but I don't regret taking the plunge one bit. :thup:

Back