• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]"Extreme" Video Card Cooling on an "Extreme" Budget

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

In the never ending quest for a few more MHz of power that any self respecting overclocker is constantly seeking, this question always comes up. How can I get this piece of hardware colder? As we all know, heat is normally the enemy of speed in our little world, and overclockers have dreamed up brilliant and sophisticated ways to keep their hardware colder. This is not one of them.

... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done first article! Glad your poor 4550 survived. :attn:

Thanks! It was a lot of fun. I hope everyone gets a good chuckle out of it! I think comical relief may be my future foray, as my clocking skills ain't so leet. :D

Coooolllllll

hahahah soo cool :)
Congrats! I have the same 4550 I use it in one of my download-dedicated computer that work 24/7 veryyy silently... I think they call that SCREEN COOLING... yea... whatever that means.

Arghhhh... Now I will have to do that and I will burn my 4550 for sure.

Thanks guys! I'm still plotting a way to do this with a 4890, hmmm. :sly:

Thats...freaking...hilarious! Too bad you didn't get any extra clocks while cold.

Yea...had I know that it would have actually worked...I would have come up with a volt mod before hand, lol. Still, it was an absolute hoot!

I might have a more serious article coming soon in regards to GPU cooling. :thup:

Now to do this on a CPU! Should save some money and get the more economical extra-thin no-ziplock sandwhich-size bags =D

just kidding... but do you think this would actually ever yield sub-zero temps on a higher TDP card? Say... a 4830? :santa:

Now to do this on a CPU! Should save some money and get the more economical extra-thin no-ziplock sandwhich-size bags =D

just kidding... but do you think this would actually ever yield sub-zero temps on a higher TDP card? Say... a 4830? :santa:

It would work on anything...just have to make the components in question bigger. I have seen a True 120 zip tied (who was that OCF member?) to high end GPU. If one was so bold they could do something like that and stick the whole thing in a bag...would need a bigger sandwich bag though. :D

Now how the hell do you manage to get a TRUE to fit in that orientation on a GPU? And does this work on cpu blocks? I've always wanted to get a CPU cold but those pots are expensive... Plus I don't know where you get dry ice at anyways.

580 by paparamiro

signature.img

http://hwbot.org/community/submissi...age___performance_geforce_gtx_580_30893_marks

mattno5ss's vx on an 8800gtx

attachment.php

http://overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655477

hahaha that is sooo cool. I thought about doing this with a friend's left over Phenom 9950BE stock heatpipe cooler and a 9800GT, I just couldn't figure out how to mount it =(

Back