• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6700K high VCore out of the box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

piedpilot

Hi guys.

I'm quite new to all this, having been tempted back into it by recent developments in VR. I've just built a PC based on an Asus Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard with a Skylake 6700K, and I'm now checking out what it can do. So far, everything is currently still at the factory settings (with the exception of updating the bios to the latest version)

In the bios, the default VCore is showing as 1.328V, which seems very high as a starting point. (I'm not really sure how the mobo arrives at that value?). When I run CPU-Z, it shows core VID fluctuating between about 1.26V and 1.34V at idle, but then during a stress test, the reading stabilises to around 1.26V.

Is all of this normal? Should I be worried about the high core voltage in the bios? Which numbers should I trust?

On a different, though possibly related issue (hence the reason for posting it as part of the same thread), my cpu temperature is currently around 30 degrees C at idle (25 degrees ambient), and increases to around 60 degrees during a stress test. Again, this seems high given that I have a Corsair H110 liquid cooler. I'm not sure if the chip is just running really hot or if my cooler is just not working effectively.

Many thanks

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Seems all fine to me. What does cpuz say your voltage on load is... 1.26V?

The board gets the stock voltage info from the cpu. It's called VID.

wingman99

When you run prime95 what do you see with CPU-Z for Core voltage (Vcore) not VID? If your using ASUS CPU-Z it has VID and not Core voltage.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
You are aware that version of CPUz is over 3 years old, right? I'm not sure when that changed, but it isn't in 1.77. :)

Last edited:

wingman99

I have just seen folks post with VID CPU-Z recently just making sure that is not what he is looking at, thanks for the information.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I wonder if it is just the skinned models that say VID... I wanted to know when it changed and the non skinned versions do not ever say VID in it from 1.66 on forward (see screenshot).

EDIT: Nope.. oddly enough, the same exact version you posted, I DL and ran and it does NOT say VID. See second screenshot. I am not sure why it says VID whereas the others I have DL from the website don't.

cpuzss.jpg

cpuzss2.jpg

Last edited:

wingman99

I wonder if it is just the skinned models that say VID... I wanted to know when it changed and the non skinned versions do not ever say VID in it from 1.66 on forward (see screenshot).

EDIT: Nope.. oddly enough, the same exact version you posted, I DL and ran and it does NOT say VID. See second screenshot. I am not sure why it says VID whereas the others I have DL from the website don't.

View attachment 183371

View attachment 183372

I don't know either, I just can't remember what thread I witnessed someone posting ASUS Core VID here in the Forum. Maybe it has something to do with ASUS CPU-Z reading some motherboards?

Mr.Scott

Beamed Me Up!
In CPUz, if you change XOC= from 0 to 1 you will see the VID in the voltage window instead of the actual voltage. ;)
Reason you turn on XOC is to kill some of the monitoring so your sh1t don't crash when you validate.

@ Joe- thought you were a bencher brah. :D

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I was. :(

Never knew you could do that!

Seems like its a manual change and not something an average person, read the OP, would see.

Mr.Scott

Beamed Me Up!
The ROG CPU-Z I used with my FX chip showed VID, too, and I never modded it.
You did at one time. ;)
When you upgrade CPUz to a newer version, it saves your settings from the old one and applies them to the new one.

Alaric

I downloaded it from somewhere, in addition to the regular CPU-Z, but I never went in to the config. file. MSI Afterburner, well, yeah. But not CPU-Z. Is it possible a version came that way at some point? It was an old version. I may have gotten it from the mobo DVD.