• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6700k HT off voltages

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

This is just a case of curiosity killed the cat, so not really expecting a big thread. Has anyone tried turning HT off on a 6700k to see how low you could go with voltages + higher overclocks ? This is in a gaming scenario ONLY.

I always said that it would be a waste to buy one and turn off HT instead of getting a 6600k BUT from reviews supposedly the 6700k reaches slightly higher OC and has 8mb cache instead of 6mb (don't know if the cache has any meaningful impact on gaming).

Really just looking to compare notes so to speak, my 4.8ghz dropped from 1.38v to 1.35v (still testing, might drop lower) and temps ofc dropped a nice ~15c. Will update as I go along :)

mackerel

I run HT off on i7s/i3s, but in what I use them for HT has no benefit and only negatives, and the cache does make a difference in some cases.

Haven't tested HT out on overclocking (yet). I did start with my 2nd 6700k last night, which I suspect is not a good sample as it quite easily hits current limits where my 1st sample doesn't. Not done much yet. 1.35V is not stable for 4.5 GHz and I didn't want to use any more voltage to limit power consumption.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Never tried it, but it is quite common for that to happen. Lower voltage required and maybe 100-300Mhz difference in clocks at the same voltage as well as temps drop.

OP
Kenrou

Kenrou

Lower voltage required and maybe 100-300Mhz difference in clocks at the same voltage as well as temps drop.

Was just reading a thread on TechPU on this and saw your name several times on the comments :D

Had no idea that HT off made this much of a difference in voltages/temps, seriously considering having a BIOS profile for gaming (HT off) as soon as I get the latest tests done and another just for coding etc (HT on).

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Certainly your choice... though I don't see the point in doing so. The effort is minimal to swap like that (a reboot), so are the returns from doing so.

OP
Kenrou

Kenrou

The effort is minimal to swap like that (a reboot), so are the returns from doing so.

Was planning on trying for higher overclock if I can as well as soon as I get this testing done. Also for x265 I need to run 4.7ghz/1.38v and gaming I only need 4.7ghz/1.32v, so profiles. Will change the gaming profile to whatever I end up with now and take advantage of the lower temps and higher clock no ?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Again, I don't see the point (but I am not YOU!). You won't gain much if anything at all in gaming with pushing that overclock (a rare title or few will respond to higher clocks past where you are at), and lower temps are just a number and doesn't gain you anything, but that, a lower number. If that is what you are after, go for it. For me, it's not even worth waiting for the 15 second reboot. :)

OP
Kenrou

Kenrou

Again, I don't see the point (but I am not YOU!). You won't gain much if anything at all in gaming with pushing that overclock (a rare title or few will respond to higher clocks past where you are at), and lower temps are just a number and doesn't gain you anything, but that, a lower number. If that is what you are after, go for it. For me, it's not even worth waiting for the 15 second reboot. :)

All true but there is always some fun in trying to see where you can get and what is true now for FPS might change with the next game released ;) the main thing is really to get all the info I can on this and to get my profiles running stable.

Also was never happy to see temps hitting the low 80s (maybe just my light OCD and too much time on AMD side) and the ~15c drop actually made my day :)

Last edited:
OP
Kenrou

Kenrou

UPDATE : so as E_D said 100mhz rise with same voltage 4.8ghz/1.32v, and apparently 4.9ghz is out of my reach, seems to be ALMOST getting there at 1.36v/1.38v (drops cores) but starts freezing again above that. Went all the way to 1.45v and no go :bang head

Results HT OFF : Windows seems smoother, some apps are very slightly slower and others are noticeably faster, games are slightly faster, some benchs are slower some are faster, temps are much better. Good for 24/7 gaming profile methinks :thup:

Last edited: