• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6700k volts question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zinjos13

Hi I have been out of the ocing game a while just up graded from a q6600 setup so it is all pretty new to me.
Specs of the new rig are:

Cpu 6700k on water
mobo asus pro gamer
ram 2x 8gb gskill 3000 cl15
hdd pci intel 750 400gb

I have take it for a little spin but I am not sure what vcore or vid read out is correct.
first of all i used asus ez overclock 15% 4.6Ghz and under load hwmoniter vid would read 1.47v. Running prime95 was too hot and stayed at 135watts. So started using the manual settings vcore set at 1.35. 4.6ghz booted into windows, under load hwmoniter vid only reads 1.011v. but still stable and waayyyy cooler.

current playing around i can cine @4.8ghz vid 1.3v hwmoniter bios 1.45v
i can boot into windows @5ghz same volts as above but cine gives me a debug error

Do i trust Hwmoniter and keep upping the vcore in the bios till hwmoniter reaches 1.45v?

Is that 1.425 in the bios or in a live read out like in hwmoniter? as my readout in hwmoniter is a lot lower than in the bios?

I am not sure if the motherboard its self has them. I have been using cpuz and hwmoniter to moniter it.
Here is a screen shot of both programs under load. The bios is set at 1.45 to get these readings.

4.jpg

Your CPU-Z screenshot specifically says, Core VID. HWMonitor also shows VID so neither program is showing you the actual voltage going to your CPU.

The value in the bios is probably closest to the actual voltage your CPU is getting so for a 24/7 setting, you are near or at the limit.

Does your board come with any Asus monitoring software? That might be the best source for real time voltage info. You could also try HWiNFO but it usually takes a while before tools are updated after a new series of CPUs is released.

Ok ill go with the bios settings until the monitor programs catch up.
Yes it feels high and hot at 1.45. I have backed off the volts to 1.32 (in bios) until intel release the recommended vcore. 24/7 running at 4.6ghz, xmp turned on.

For those interested the clocks for this 6700k seem to top out at 5ghz @1.45v bios. unstable, any cine freezes
@4.9ghz i get a debug error half way through cine. @4.8 i can bench no problem cine, prime set @ max heat, till i am not happy with the heat 15-20mins.

5Ghz screen shot below 5.jpg

Back