• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800 GT or X800 Pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AntonioBanderas

Disabled
My Shuttle XPC SN85G4 only has a 240 watt power supply. Will I even be able to run the 6800 GT since there is a need for 2 power sockets or is my best bet with the X800 Pro? Will I even be able to run that or is it time to toss the Small Form Factor already?

Sentential

Contributing Member
I have heard that the x800PRO will work just fine in SFF, due to its superior power designs. I would give it a shot. :attn:

JCLW

Yup, there are a couple of people either here or over at Rage3D.com that have X800pros in their SFFs.

blurry

Hope your SFF has good ventilation if you're going for either card.

there is a need for 2 power sockets
If you're talking about molex connectors, it only requires one.

Kunaak

for small form factor PC's you definatly need to the X800 pro over the GT.

you may also check into miniATX PSU's, cause I know I seen a few in the 270-300 range. the extra juice in those may be just what you need for the X800 Pro in a SFF PC.

I'd be alittle suprised to see a GT work in one of those with so little power available to it.

Shuzzy

Mr.Guvernment said:
^^^ 6800 requires 2........

nope, the 6800 ultra has two but only requires one to run. the other is optional for "enthusiast overclocking". all the others only have one available..

micamica1217

AntonioBanderas said:
okay, so X800 Pro or Geforce 6800 GT for best performance/overclockability in my SFF?

I'd say the x800pro hands down.

with the 6800gt needing a larger HSF then the 6800gt, I'd say that you might need an aftermarket or CPU, HSF for it to OC well.
this not only adds to the price, but adds to the fact that it now wont fit in most SFF cases.

the x800pro seems to OC quite nice...I'm already running at 520/540 from 475/450 in stock cooling (this is not my max OC).
I can see you running at 500/500 easy in a SFF, with no heat problems, with stock cooling.

clearly with brilinear filtering off, and some AA and AF, the 6800gt can no longer keep up with the x800pro.
easily, I can beat out a non OCed 6800u with my x800pro at stock in most games....only the old Q3A engine type games does the 6800gt/u beat my x800pro.
(there may be an odd game or two, like SC, that the 6800gt may beat my x800pro...yet the two sites that I've seen, didn't use any AF when testing this game. sad.)

heat and OCing always go hand and hand, so you might want to wait...
or think right now, that your OC on a 6800gt may be low or small.

mica

Pake

clearly with brilinear filtering off, and some AA and AF, the 6800gt can no longer keep up with the x800pro.
Is that with BOTH cards disabling brilinear?

micamica1217

Pake said:
Is that with BOTH cards disabling brilinear?

sorry Pake, but you clearly know that the x800pro does full trilinear filtering...
no brilinear filtering on any of the x800 cards.

end of story.
please do not reply unless you have solid proof of any game that shows brilinear filtering.

thank you.

mica

OP
A

AntonioBanderas

Disabled
so would it be worth getting an X800 XT PE over the X800 Pro? I hate spending money but will if it is worth it.

Albuquerque

Your 240w SFF power supply would likely be unable to feed enough power to an X800XTPE. The X800Pro is borderline; the 6800GT is even further into the red but may still work. I would go no further than that.