• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800 vs X800 in FarCry with new version 1.2 and PS 3.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gregory_WE

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/farcry30.html

The benchmark results achieved today in “Pure Mode” prove that the GeForce 6800 Ultra graphics cards is the fastest performer in FarCry in the majority of cases when it works using Shader Model 3.0 path. While the RADEON X800 XT delivers performance very close to that of the competitor, there are very few cases when the graphics card can outperform the GeForce 6800 Ultra with no full-scene antialiasing and anisotropic filtering enabled.

Slightly less powerful options – the GeForce 6800 GT and the GeForce 6800 – also prove to be extremely successful rivals for the RADEON X800 PRO and the RADEON 9800 XT respectively, according to FarCry benchmarks in “Pure Mode”. In fact, both GeForce 6800-series offerings at $399 and $299 price-points leave the rivals behind by quite a substantial margin and therefore can be considered as the best options for FarCry in terms of price/performance ratio.

As expected, with updated software the 6800 series' new architecture begins to overtake the X800 series' dated but still competitive architecture. Also, what is also significant, is that the image quality (IQ) is virtually identical between the two series.

6800 GT looking pretty damn good :)

Cowboy X

What is interesting is that just as ATI claimed the X800XT is still king of the roost in Farcry at the settings which people who buy such highend cards play at . In other words at present the X800XT still wins where it counts :

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/far_cry_sm30/

I would certainly not be buying a 2004 ultra highend vcrad for $500 to be playing games in year 2000 mode ( without at least 4xaa and 8xaf ) . There are very very good improvements for the 6800 series but they really needed to win the quality benchmarks to prove their point better .

I will however admit that the 6800GT is looking very very good and may find its way into my box this year .

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Hmmmm, very interested indeed! :thup:
*Gets hammer, finds piggybank, whacks piggybank with hammer, starts counting pennies* :D

scott_55X

I think that little GT is going to be the top seller by far this product cycle. It has turned into an awsome card.

Cowboy X

I think the GT is the best buy unless you don't mind modding , 'cause then an X800 modded to an X800XT would be the best buy . ( until ATI finds a way to block the mods )

Dragonprince

" there are very few cases when the graphics card can outperform the GeForce 6800 Ultra with no full-scene antialiasing and anisotropic filtering enabled. "

"with no full-scene AA or AF"

That doesnt sound so hot to me. This is saying that if you want to get eye candy from your high end card, you come in second place with the 6800, even with the SM3 patch ?????

OP
Gregory_WE

Gregory_WE

It hasn't been tested, so you can't comment on that.

However, I personally never use AA or AF anyways, when playing an FPS I hardly notice a difference.

OP
Gregory_WE

Gregory_WE

Also, I know that some X800 Pro's have been modded to X800 XT's... what's the success rate on that? I'm assuming it's not even 50% since I haven't heard too much about it.

Dragonprince

I though i read somewhere there was a specific Pro that mod'd good, maybe the VIVO model, so it looks like ATi can kill that quickly enough...

I'm still up in the air on which card I will buy, I have a 6800 GT on order and the X800 XT. I will keep one and EBay the other, depending on how they run...

Cowboy X

Gregory_WE said:
Also, I know that some X800 Pro's have been modded to X800 XT's... what's the success rate on that? I'm assuming it's not even 50% since I haven't heard too much about it.

So far the success rate is above 50% from what I have seen , some sites having 100% success and not from just one maker . The big thing to think about is that ATI may soon make more serious moves to block such actions so I don't know how long it will last .

OP
Gregory_WE

Gregory_WE

Yeah that's certainly probable.

And BTW, my eyes are more than fine :) Better than 20/20, no glasses or contacts.