• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800GS [AGP] fan stops spinning 5 seconds into boot then constant beeping starts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
I know all is well with the system because I put in an ATi Radeon 9800 Pro in and all is well. But when I put in an EVGA 6800 GS [AGP] I get constant beeps.

I notice the video card fan is not spinning. The strange thing is that I start the computer & the fan starts spinning. But then the fan stops spinning 5 seconds into it and constant beeping starts...

system power supply is 500W OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS, the rest of the system is
[200] FSB x 12.5 = 2500 MHz @ 1.87 Vcore with memory frequency at 100% [200 FSB] @ 2.90 Vdimm and 1.6 Vdd
nForce2 Epox 8RDA3+ v2.1, BIOS 07/29/2004
Thermalright SLK-900A with 80x38mm Delta EFB0812HHE fan
Antec SX-835II case
Five 80x25mm Case Fans

Sounds like a power issue. I know that you said the fan starts spinning, then stops, but you may have a bad/ weak power connection where the molex plugs into the card. I had a similar issue back in the day with the BFG version of that card.

You mean rather than a power supply issue, it's the connector on the card?

How'd you fix yours?

Is the motherboard AGP 2.0? I know there were different power spec for the 8X AGP cards... but you're really stretching my memory now! lol

You mean rather than a power supply issue, it's the connector on the card?

How'd you fix yours?

My card had a crack in the metal connector that bridged the molex plug connector to the mainboard of the card. Had to use a magnifying glass to find it. A steady hand and a small drop of solder fixed the issue.

what, here:

Attachments

• agpmolex.jpg
    agpmolex.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 512
Yes, exactly. I cant say for sure that you have the same problem, but its worth a look because my card was acting the same way as you describe.

I can't see any cracks but it's definitely the card. I just put in another GeForce 6800 and it worked just fine...

Could flashing this card solve the problem, if so, where/how... (I have a PCI vid card)

Last edited:
Can you try the 'questionable' card in another rig? I am convinced that it is a power issue with the card. I dont think flashing it will make any difference.

What motherboard do you have? I have read long ago of some 6800s not working on some early AGP8x boards, especially some nforce2 chipset boards.. Although I could be entirely wrong... try updating your BIOS, just to be on the safe side...

motherboard bios i mean...

But you should definitely try that card on another PC before you make any decision.

I just put in another GeForce 6800 and it worked just fine... It's a Geforce 6800 LE but all the pipes were unlocked so... I don't think it's the mobo.

My last resort is to try flash the video card, where are files to do that again?

^ check the sticky.

EDIT: I would still like to see you try the questionable card in another mobo if at all possible. I am convinced that there is a power issue with the card, whether it be in the molex plug connector, or dirty connectors on the agp slot connector, etc.

Last edited:
Back