• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6850k died code 00 after 3 months - got refunded - what do to next?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anhikilator

Hello Dear OC team,

In may I got the 6850k with the Asus Strix x99. OC'd to 4.2 and everything was working perfectly. Yesterday I played some overwatch in the afternoon, no problems at all. At night, I came back for some more games and I got the infamous q code 00. I read all the posts I found in forums and apparently, the CPU was dead. Since I have a good standing with the vendors I got the parts from, I was able to get refunded for both, the motherboard and the cpu. Now the question is, what should I get next? My budget is approximately 1k, I got $320 back from the MB and $550 from the CPU. I'm willing to throw a few more bucks if it's worth it.

My first option was the 7820x but I've read that the motherboard VRM designs are flawed. How much? I'm not sure, I'm willing to do some mild Overclocking but that should be it. Should I be worried about the VRM issue or this only affect extreme OC's?

I haven't been following to the detail but I did hear from threadripper and ryzen, should I consider this option instead? I've been using Asus/Intel/Nvidia for the last 10 years.

My PC usage is 70% gaming, 30% work where the software I use strongly benefits from extra cores.

I'd also like to add in the mix a new AIO cooler. I've been using the Swiftech H220 for 5 years now and I think it may be a good idea to replace it so, if you have recommendations for this, I'll appreciate it.

Please let me know if you need more information from my end, refund should be available in a week and looking to make a purchase as soon as I get the refund.

Thanks,

Ank.

The 7820x is the best bang for buck CPU on the x299 platform imo. It's still fairly pricy for what you get and being limited to 28 PCIe lanes wouldn't sit well with me. ymmv.

On the AMD front there's the 8c/16t Ryzen 7 1700 which is only $299, though if you're not all that interested in overclocking then the $349 1700x may be a better fit...particularly if you intend to replace the stock cooler...the 1700 has one, but the 1700x does not. The Ryzen CPUs won't offer you any more PCIe lanes and also only have dual channel memory access, but the total cost would be significantly less than the 7820x/x299 with similar compute power.

If something a bit more upscale interests you then the x399 platform may be a good fit. The 1900x threadripper processor is due to be released on August 31 @ $549. It has 8c/16t and access to 60 PCIe lanes as well as quad channel memory bandwidth. That'd be my own choice in that price range, but again ymmv.

As far as AIO's go, my own preference is for units that have some measure of upgradability. I like the Fractal Design Celsius series for this reason.

Timonex,

Thank you so much for the answers. If you have the time, I have a few follow up questions. I read about the limited pci lanes and it's one of my concerns but it's also true that I'll probably won't have an sli again. Used to love it but I had the 980ti and now the 1080ti and single card has helped me have more time playing and less time tweaking. I also have a raid 0 of 2 ssds, a raid 0 of 2 hdd Sata 3 and an nvme boot drive. It's my understanding that 28 pci lanes are enough, do you agree?

Threadripper was my second option but first, I cannot wait and second, 50 bucks difference won't make a big difference in my budget. From the x299 boards you've seen, any you can recommend in the 250-350 budget? I had asus forever but after what happened with this last motherboard I'm starting to think about other options.

Thanks again for your detailed message.

Kindest regards,

Ank

If you only have one video card then the extra PCI lanes are a non issue.

28 PCIe lanes are enough for now. 16 for video + 4 for nvme leaves you 8...obviously not a whole bunch for future expansion which is what I like least about the x299 "High End" desktop platform. Only you can decide what the likelihood is of you wanting to go back to SLI/xFire or whether you'll get into video editing and need a capture card, RAID card, etc...

If I were choosing an x299 board right this second...I'd go for the Asrock Taichi. It's a good overclocker with dual gigabit LAN, onboard wifi, and I believe 3 m.2 slots. One of which is directly tied to the CPU.

Best of luck and don't forget to tell us how it turns out.

Cheers.

Timotex,

Will do. As soon as I get the credit back in the account I'll go for the 7820x with the taichi, I just need to decide what aio will I get. You will hear back from with a few picks from the AIO.

Thank you so much for all the help! I'll post some pics once ready.

Oh wow, that's a coincidence. Ok, I"ll consider it, the only problem is that the sale goes for 48 hs and the RMA mb is arriving on friday, not sure if I'll get the credit on time. I've read that the bios isn't the best, is that true? I won't be doing anything crazy other than setting up the raids and overclocking the cpu mildly.

I rather like MSI UEFI BIOS, but it's somewhat subjective. Some people dislike the layout and find it confusing, but I'm not among them and find it to be fairly straightforward. There are a ton of options on either Intel or AMD's HEDT line of motherboards, but most can just be left on Auto if you don't want to fiddle with stuff. There's also easy/advanced mode in the BIOS, but the easy mode seems so horribly dumbed down that I can't get anything done with it and quickly switch to the "real" interface.

I would get a Ryzen 1700 and save the money. The new Intel CPUs are ****ty, overpriced and power drawing. They may be a bit faster, but cost almost twice.

Otherwise I would stick with X99, its a great platform, but its going to be dead soon. Both Ryzen and X299 have some massive problems and bugs.

The 7820x is a good CPU. Criticism about the overall cost of the x299 platform compared to 1331 is fair, at least on the lower end of the x-series stack, but it's also somewhat subjective as they do have different feature sets. Anyway I think the OP has determined that x299 is the direction to go, and it's his decision to make.

I would get a Ryzen 1700 and save the money.
Both Ryzen and X299 have some massive problems and bugs.

Please explain. If the "problems and bugs" with Ryzen are so massive, then why advise the OP to buy Ryzen?

Divine Light, in this case I got store credit back so I basically have approximately 1k to spend in the egg. I won't be saving money by buying Ryzen, maybe I could by more products. I was happy with x99 and 6850k but apparently the issue I had happened to many many people so I think my best bet is to swap to another platform now that I have the money. If I get 6850 again and dies, let say, in one year, I'll be able to rma but not to get a refund. Also, I think I got lucky since I paid $570 for the processor and now, after the new series released, it dropped its price considerably. Even though the performance won't be there dollar per dollar I rather invest a bit more in Intel which I've been using for a while and wait maybe for the next champ in the future. I understand that AMD is going in the right direction but I feel that they still need to polish a few things here and there to be top notch.

If you haven't purchased yet, I'd again urge you to wait for the 1900x. That CPU is due out on the 31st @ a price of $549. Combined with the x399 boards already available it should provide more bang for the buck than x299/7820x. Both have quad channel memory bandwidth, both are 8c/16t, but where the x299/7920x rig would be limited to 28 PCIe lanes the x399/1900x setup will have 60 lanes to work with and zero dark ports.

Also, while I continue to believe the 7820x is the best deal on the x299 platform...at a price of $599, it's not a screaming buy. For me it gets too close to the 12c/24t 1920x for $799...a processor that will significantly outperform the 7820x in nearly anything.

Ok, I'm going to wait till the end of the month. I was lucky to get a 5930k loaner so I plugged my card and I'll be able to keep myself entertained until I make the final call. Let's see what the benchmarks say. Intel may even reduce the price a bi if TR is that much better.

Thanks,

Ank

That's good, better to not be forced to rush decisions.

Threadripper is already out, it's what I'm on now. There are tons of reviews out there. Just AMD held back the lowest priced threadripper sku for last. I don't think Intel is likely to lower prices much(moar) to compete though...particularly on parts like the 7820x which is already more reasonably priced than the rest of the stack. I suppose coffee lake could pull in prices on some of the lower end sky-x chips a bit, but that wouldn't be for awhile.

Currently AMD has edge. I am bit puzzled that Intel got caught pants down. avx2/avx512 is not real advantage as thanks to Intel as avx512 will be actual sometime 2020, I guess. AMD can execute 4 sse 128 bit instructions per clock while Intel only two, but Intel two 256bit while AMD one.
Which is more important, currently?

Sorry guys, I couldn't wait. Got the credit and got excited. On the way I have:
- 7820x
- ASUS TUF X299 MARK I
- ARCTIC COOLING Liquid Freezer 240 ACFRE00013A 240mm

I think it'll be a good fit for multitasking, gaming and some productivity. Also, overclocked, I think I'll get the best gaming experience (even though not by much) compared to the 1900x. I think it's mostly because of the higher freq. Wish me luck!

Good luck.

I hope that's adequate cooling. I'd have recommended the 360mm if it will fit in whatever case you have. Sometimes the double fan coolers have to work too hard to keep up...they end up being noisy and/or inadequate.

I know, I almost get the 360 but I'm glad I checked. I have the cage at the bottom front so it can only accommodate 240. I game with headphones so noise wouldn't be a problem. I just hope it can keep up with the heat.

Last edited:
Back