• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Thermalright MUX-120 Black Heatsink Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Once again, I am looking at another high performance heatsink from Thermalright. They have been a consistent manufacturer of high performance air cooling solutions for quite a few years now and still are counted as one of the "go-to" manufacturers when considering the purchase of a high performance cooling solution for your computer's processor. Today, I will be looking at the MUX-120 Black, which is a mid priced cooling solution that comes standard with a PWM fan and mounting hardware for both AMD and Intel systems. We will see...

... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice review mudd, surprised this didn't get any responses. Sure looks a lot like that true spirit I bought off you a while back. :)

Yeah, it sure does loo like the TS, Matt. :D It's a nice kit and comes with some premium mounts too. For someone looking for a heatsink that won't break the bank and gives good (not fantastic) performance and needs plenty of ram clearance, the puppy will do just fine. It would especially good on AMD boards and any other board that mounts the ram slots close to the socket area.

BTW, I ended up buying myself another True Spirit after selling you my first one. It's a hell of a performer for the price.

Yes, I was very happy with it... Getting the right mounts for AMD was a pain for me though, which was nice to see covered in your article. I bought mounts that go with thermalright's venx and a couple coolers like that, but no where was there any documentation stating they would work fine with the True Spirit. I just looked at the pictures and was pretty sure it would work.

I've advised a couple people to go that route in the forums since then also, who were asking about which mounts to buy - since its not specified by the manufacturer or retailers while other heatsink models are specifically named, people get very iffy as to whether the mounting will work.

Nice review :thup: Love the pictures you took showing the clearances n all. One thing that is great about it is you show the differences of several heatsinks compared to a 212+ :D I mean if you think about how often the 212+ gets recommended, its great to be able to decide if your hearing is worth a little more cash or if you would want to spend a little more for what could be 200-300mhz.

Only caveat is I've got watercooling so don't need one anytime soon.

Thanks guys. :)

And DumpALump, I still like to have a good, but not too expensive an air cooler as a backup myself. That way if you have problems with your loop, you can still keep your machine running while waiting on a part for the loop, such as replacing a bad pump or a leaking rad. If nothing but a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or a heatsink from the Classifieds ;). Since for once it looks like Intel is sticking with the same mounting patterns for their future sockets, you won't have to worry about getting a new mount in the future.

And DumpALump, I still like to have a good, but not too expensive an air cooler as a backup myself. That way if you have problems with your loop, you can still keep your machine running while waiting on a part for the loop, such as replacing a bad pump or a leaking rad. If nothing but a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or a heatsink from the Classifieds ;). Since for once it looks like Intel is sticking with the same mounting patterns for their future sockets, you won't have to worry about getting a new mount in the future.

Well that's why I always keep the stock heatsink :D However, I did win a raffle from Cyberpower PC (it's Thermaltake's company) where I won a Xion HP-9310. I wanted to build a system with it and see where it lined up in temps, but no need for more computers :(

heatsink from the Classifieds ;)

I see what you did there :D

I count nine blades, not seven...

Yup, my bad.:bang head

Now to get in touch with one of the front page guys to change that.:fight:

I appreciate that catch. Of course it's 9 blades; I just typed it in wrong.

EDIT: @ DumpALump, I didn't know Cyberpower PC was affiliated with Thermaltake, but then I don't look at prebuilt desktop systems either. And as for the other quote, well :D is all I can say.:rofl:

Last edited:
EDIT: @ DumpALump, I didn't know Cyberpower PC was affiliated with Thermaltake, but then I don't look at prebuilt desktop systems either. And as for the other quote, well :D is all I can say.:rofl:

Yeah I didn't even know about Cyberpower PC till PAX (Penny Arcade Expo). Raffle was actually pretty fun even though a bit hectic. They had some interesting setups, one with a computer built into a motorcycle or moped (why? dunno). Surprisingly like 1min before the last drawing on the last day, one of the workers there said if I liked them on facebook I'd get another raffle ticket, and what do you know? That's the ticket that won :D I was furiously on my phone trying to get to their site before the drawing started.

Between my gf and I we won 8gb 1866 ram, cpu cooler, TT PWM fan, and some noise canceling ear buds. Obviously they want to get their name out there a little more and I feel bad cause I don't have or need a system to build to send them pics as a sign of thanks. I mean eventually I'll build one, but that might be down the line. Maybe I'll throw it in my current setup and take it for a spin. Definitely not going to sell it cause that wouldn't be right.

Nice review, mud. I really want to get my hands on one of these, I can definitely use a new cooler for my HTPC, this thing would be perfect.

Back