• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE End of Life date set for X58

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Intel users had a great run with this platform, and frankly there is still plenty of life left in it performance wise. But as grains of sand in the hour glass of time fall, all good things must come to an end. Intel has officially released its retirement date for the venerable X58 enthusiast class platform in 2012, specifically April 27th 2012 for orders. Intel will ship them as late as October 5th 2012.

... Return to article to continue reading.

There's already a 990X? I mean, I guess they could finish off with a 995X or a 1000X, but it'd just be another stock multiplier jump.

X58 seems to have had a pretty long lifetime. With the great deal I got on my 920 two years ago, it's IMO one of my best purchases. :beer:

I think the retirement of X58 is completely understandable. There is no point in making another LGA1366 chip, because all they would do is make it another multi bump. If they did something like adding for L3 cache that would be nice, but somewhat impractical.

The "new" replacement of X58 is X79 and LGA2011 anyways...

This doesn't surprise me. I want to see the prices drop on 980x/990x's so I can get one and throw it in my X58A-OC. :)

I can't find any purpose for them to waste the silicon to release a tiny boost in an unlocked chip for a one higher stock multiplier on a (soon to be) dead socket. A few engineering samples may make it out into the open, but I can't see it going full retail.

I never even knew a 995x was even created until this thread. But yeah, a tiny bump in the multiplier isn't that great. It would be good if Intel did something like adding more L3 cache to make it even more superior. But why add another chip with more features into a socket that is already being phased out?

AS for me, I'm hoping to get a 980 or 990x once I get my tax return back in January/February for my rig in my sig. By then, Socket 2011 will be out, as well as Bulldozer, which should drive the price down. And my 1366 rig is still kicking *** in games and everyday tasks. I think a 6-core CPU on a 32nm process would be a nice little bump before I retire the rig in another year.

Back