• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Antec HCP-850W Power Supply Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

box-front-300x226.jpg

Antec was kind enough to send Overclockers.com a shiny new HCP-850 W power supply to review, this is Antec's second model in the High Current Pro (HCP) series. While it is in related to the HCP-1200 W in name and efficiency the internals are almost certainly significantly different. We will, of course, check!

... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bobnova, I'd suggest writing a bit more about your load tester. Is it a static load (Power Resistor Network) or something more complicated? It could be a nice article in itself.

Also, since you bench for the team, perhaps you can try to make a hybrid static-dynamic setup, where the dynamics is provided by an extreme benching run. You don't need to use your primary hardware. Just pick up some old P4 stuff and see how things go. If the PSU explodes and takes the rig down it is not much of a loss. I'm sure folks here can donate some old hardware up for sacrifice. :)

I'll put a bit about the tester in the next one, it's a 100% resistive load. IMO a resistive load is a must for oscilloscope testing, otherwise it seems to me like you could get noise from the switching loads heading back up the scope.

Maybe I can find a 965 chipset 775 board and a P4D somewhere :D

Thanks for the input!

Oh boy... OklahomaWolf lookout! We have a new PSU guru in these here parts. :D

Great review Ed. But on the matter of perfection, or rather lack of it.

Antec was kind enough to send Overclockers.com a shiny new HCP-850 W power supply to review, this is Antec's second model in the High Current Pro (HCP) series. While it is in related to the HCP-1200 W in name and efficiency the internals are almost certainly significantly different. We will, of course, check!

A tiny nit to pick, but it is there and it is bothersome. :D

Last edited:
I don't know how many times I've read that line and not noticed that. lol
I can't touch it now, I think that means it isn't my problem anymore :D

Back