• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7 GeForce FX Reviews

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angry

Whoa for a sec I thought these were actual benches of the cards...
Might want to say Previews next time...get to many people excited for benches like me...

Than again it attracts more people to the post....:beer:

attack

I don't know about that cooling system, How loud will it be? let alone the fact that it is the most Fugly monstrosity I've seen in my life. If they don't come with a different cooling setup I aint buying one.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
ajrettke said:
I don't know about that cooling system, How loud will it be? let alone the fact that it is the most Fugly monstrosity I've seen in my life. If they don't come with a different cooling setup I aint buying one.

i find that to be a bad excuse as to why you wouldn't buy one, just because to cooling doesn't look "nice". it's just as bad as if you don't want to buy it because it is called geforce fx. i am sure they could change the color of the plastic to match the pcb when they color that... i mean it had a stock copper hsf on it... (it at least appears to be copper.)

from Beyond3D's "review"
However, both the NV30 chip and cooling system does feature another useful element, which is that of ‘Silent Running’. Similar to the power regulation and clock speed altering systems found on portable graphics chips, GeForce FX will have hardware and software that can detect the activity and alter the running conditions accordingly. Elements such as chip heat, voltage and fan speed is constantly monitored so that when games are in use, and the full capabilities of the chip are being stretched, the cooling is at maximum operation. On the other hand, when doing low stress operations, such as 2D desktop operations, the core clock speed can be dropped, hence, so can the fan speed and the overall power consumption of the graphics system will be less. During these low speed operations the noise from the fan system should be greatly reduced, however in gaming obviously it will increase, but then it's not likely be as distracting in these situations. NVIDIA say that monitoring software will be provided and alerts will be available when elements of the chip or fan speeds are changed.

that says it all about how loud it will be... it will be a smart card... it lowers the clock speed when it doesn't need it to help cool the card by itself and it can even lower the fan speed more. great idea, but i don't know if this will effect oc'ability

attack

My main point is I don't think that cooler would be as good as a normal cooler, not that it's ugly (which it is :p)

I can see why you thought that I never really stated why. But my reason is that in average joes dell case there is crappy airflow and the video card just circulates hot air, but with this atleast it should get some fresh air. However I don't think it can draw as much fresh air per db (sound) as a case with a normal cooling fan setup that has good airflow.....

And it is really ugly...wouldn't stop me from buying a good product though (if it performs, which I thinker some manufacteres will change the cooling on em...I hope)

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
ajrettke said:
My main point is I don't think that cooler would be as good as a normal cooler, not that it's ugly (which it is :p)

I can see why you thought that I never really stated why. But my reason is that in average joes dell case there is crappy airflow and the video card just circulates hot air, but with this atleast it should get some fresh air. However I don't think it can draw as much fresh air per db (sound) as a case with a normal cooling fan setup that has good airflow.....

And it is really ugly...wouldn't stop me from buying a good product though (if it performs, which I thinker some manufacteres will change the cooling on em...I hope)

thanks for clarifying... i am sure someone will change it... always happens :) good point about the airflow