• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7 Years later.. time to upgrade some stuff

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

psionic98

Looking to hit the newer market.. got about 700 to spend, parting out the necessities from the rig in my sig to fill in the blanks.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GMBXCJ

I have both the EVO 500GB SSD and the EVO 500GB M.2.. not quite sure which way to go.. m.2 should be better in general right since the board supports it.. its bigger bandwidth etc... thoughts?

Not sure I need the PSU.. mine is a OklahomaWolf special, but its 7 years old..

I also have a nh-d14 I could technically get a new adapter for (18 bucks or so) instead of a new cooler, but then I think I need to adjust the memory due to the spreaders?

Lemme hear the thoughts.. thanks for lookin!

Triple check your board specs and the drive specs on the M.2 before you buy one. There are several different sizes and types and they don't all work together.

The 850 Evo M.2 drives are only SATA speeds, I believe. At that point, you may as well get the SATA drive as it's less expensive.

I would grab the bracket for you D14, and look for different (shorter) RAM. It's far superior to the 212 Evo.

I take it the 960 is coming over as a GPU?

Ranger takes up to 80mm M.2... he has an 80 listed so it should be good. :)

The only change I would possible make are starting out with 2x8GB DDR4 3K CL15 (or lower), and getting a 650W PSU just in case you want to get a BEAST GPU and overclock the snot out of it and the CPU. You can save some money on the board as well... ASRock Extreme 4/6 has all that the ranger has to offer at a lesser price.

Last edited:
Were you going to upgrade the EVGA GTX 960 ACX to pascal when it comes out?
+1 ASRock Extreme 4/6

Last edited:
I know that the particular m2 I have there is slower, but I don't have the cash to throw out on the pro version atm and since I have no SSD right now (just a 300gb vrap raid0) its still a superior jump... I haven't seen an affordable/dependable m.2 @ 500gb in the same price range that's gotten better speeds..

I am moving the 960 over for now.. not sure about pascal yet. I haven't played anything too intense graphically speaking in a while (fallout4 is my game for the time being)

I'll look at the ASRock board too.. I've never used them to date.

Thanks for the feedback!

Updated Parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JD67cf

Last edited:
I know this might come across the wrong way but you might want to check and see what kind of deals you can get on an Alienware/OEM using a site like slickdeals. Before you blast me bear this in mind. I purchased an Alpha for $180 and added a 4770T which is at least 90% of what you're putting together for about half the cost.

Most pre-built PCs these days are just rotting away with OEMs desperate for a sale and a simple motherboard and PSU change gets you back into the OCing game just something to think about. Now if you're talking a fully custom built with about twice the budget sure but honestly I've given up personally trying to build a cost effective overclocking machine.

Retail prices on equipment vs OEM has gotten to be outrageous especially has there have been effectively no gains coming from Sandybridge to Skylake

Curious post...

There are plenty, PLENTY of ways to get a cost effective overclocking machine. For the most part, look at OEM for sub $500 builds or when you need an OS/techsupport.

Outside of gaming, there is an average of 25% increases from SB to Skylake (read anand review on skylake).

Yeah, OEM for this budget will be scoffed at here. ;)

I know that the particular m2 I have there is slower, but I don't have the cash to throw out on the pro version atm and since I have no SSD right now (just a 300gb vrap raid0) its still a superior jump... I haven't seen an affordable/dependable m.2 @ 500gb in the same price range that's gotten better speeds..

I'm certainly not saying don't go with an SSD, what I'm saying is don't throw away $20 simply because of the "interface". An M.2 drive at SATA speeds is going to be no faster than a SATA drive. I would get the SATA drive for $20 less and no loss in performance, and leave that M.2 slot open for a drive that can run at PCIe speeds in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not going to go OEM on any PC again unless its for the kids and its mostly something like internet browsing etc.. for me.. its custom 4 life!

Also, wingman.. I would love to get that pro, but being nearly 2x the cost puts it out of the range I have available to me for this build, but thanks

Back