• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Geil Evo Corsa 4x2GB 1866Mhz DDR3 and Evo Cyclone Memory Cooler Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Geil has been a long time player in the ram market and with the birth of the X79 platform came with it the need for quad channel ram. They, like most other RAM manufacturers, jumped in to this burgeoning market and sent us 2x4GB DDR3 1866Mhz 1.5v from their Evo Corsa (from the Gaming Series) series as well as the Evo Cycle Memory Cooler to play with. The Evo line, and Gaming series we have are one of the high end RAM offerings from Geil. Lets see if they can hold their own and how far we can push them in this review.

... Return to article to continue reading.

Very nice! I have to say that those heat spreaders look very nice. Catchy but not gaudy.

I installed a pair of 4gb evo enhance corsa's in one of my pc's about a month ago. The enhance look just like these other than the heat spreader is an orange color (more of a bronze). While the heat spreader look nice, they're some of the crappiest I've ever seen. The form of the spreaders are actually two halves that fold over each other, they're quite tall. Because of the height and full end to end design it's extremely difficult to find placement to apply insertion pressure that isn't forcing directly against the flimsy spreaders themselves (the ram pcb is almost fully obscured). While installing them, the heat spreaders actually collapsed and broke free of the chipsets due to poor adhesion (ie, the slightest pressure and they nearly fell off). Finally managed to fit my thumbs at the outermost edges to press directly on the corners of the pcb. I thought they were going to break to be honest. My hands are somewhat small to medium, anyone with larger hands is going to have a lot of difficulty with these. On the plus side, the ram itself is great. Those are the worst heatspreaders I've ever dealt with though and was highly disappointed with such flimsy craftsmanship. Wish they would've been more sturdy like the geil ddr2 evo1's I've used in the past.

Back