• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE MSI Z77 MPower Motherboard Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

MSI has been a player in the Z77 motherboard landscape since its inception. You have seen reviews here on the earlier releases such as the MSI Z77 GD65, but now we see an offering specifically designed for overclocking with their latest release, the Z77 Mpower. This board is 'burned in' for 24 hours using Prime95 with an Ivy Bridge CPU at a stable 4.6 GHz, which provides a more reliable and stable overclocking experience according to MSI. Let's make sure we can get there, check out some features, and in the spirit of Overclockers.com, get well past that point.
... Return to article to continue reading.

Already did... about 7.5 hours ago. :)

Just waiting for these to hit the store shelves, which I thought was today. I havent seen them yet though.

board looks nice but does it boot with x29.33/30.00 memory ratio or it's just next board with nice numbers on paper ;)

I dont have any memory, at the moment, that could get close to that value. I wouldnt be sure if its the memory or the board holding it back.

That said, I can test it if you know a way around it.

The RAM is RipjawsX 2133Mhz 7-10-7. Set it to 12-15-12 1.75 and cross my fingers perhaps?

Very nice review. It was good to be you.

MSI makes it sound like they bin the boards; at 100% QC it would be hard to not give them an extra look.

Nice review Joe. We managed to figure out that the RealTemp Disable Turbo feature was accidentally enabled. If you ever have this issue, go into the RealTemp Settings window and make sure Disable Turbo is NOT checked and everything should be OK.

I dont have any memory, at the moment, that could get close to that value. I wouldnt be sure if its the memory or the board holding it back.

That said, I can test it if you know a way around it.

The RAM is RipjawsX 2133Mhz 7-10-7. Set it to 12-15-12 1.75 and cross my fingers perhaps?

My RipjawsX are running at about 2933 9-13-11-28 ~1.8V on M5G but hard to say if you will be able to boot with this RAM. PSC generally don't like anything above CL11 so I wouldn't set anything looser than 11-14-13 or 10-14-13.
Best will be to get 2666-2800 kit for review and check it on this board. Not as it's so important but I'm just curious :)

Thanks Uncleweb for working with me on this (non)issue with Realtemp or the board. Top notch application and support. :thup:

@ Woo - Got a set of 2666 on the way and will report back when I have the data. :D

nice , these 2666 kits are overclocking good even if they are on Samsung IC ( or at least most that I saw could make ~3000, no matter what brand ;) )

It's over a month later and I can't find them in stock locally (brick & mortar: Fry's, CompUSA, Micro Center) all haven't seen any yet. Egg has it + freight, but so what, the locals will match price, or list better, just no stock.

Back