• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Arctic Cooling Fusion 550RF Power Supply Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

PSU review time again! This time it is Arctic Cooling's entry into the burtally competitive market of low wattage power supplies. This unit is aimed squarely at the (meh) Tt Smart 530w we reviewed recently. Will the Fusion 550RF stomp the Smart into the ground? Or, will it live up to its name and explode? We'll see!

... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
The marketing on this unit is really tragic.
Were it marketed as a 500w unit it would be excellent and easily approved.
As it stands, marketed as a 550w unit that says in tiny text that its a 500w unit, I can't approve it :(
The short cables don't exactly help, either.

Still, if you're after a 500w-ish unit for a HTPC or somesuch this isn't a bad choice.

Nice review.

Lack of valid UL number is baffling. The packaging is pretty pathetic. I get annoyed at paying for the excessively fancy packaging my Corsair PSU came in, but it should at least be protected. The plastic clamshell is a pain to open and does little to protect it from impact.

The crazy fan mount (why... I wonder if the position gives better airflow, hence less sound) and protruding wire, and short cables are frustrating.

It seems like they could spend an extra $1 per product and make this unit a great one.

Why are they selling on Sears and Buy.com ??? Not sure what to think about the ebay thing, that must be a desperate measure to move their PSUs.

Thanks!

No clue on sears/buy.com, I'm always impressed by the prices on Sears. Just not in a good way :p
That's not arctic's fault though, that's the case for all sears computer prices as far as I can tell. Given the lack of availability through normal channels I'm rather curious why Arctic sent me one to review, it's difficult to sell things that aren't for sale anymore.
I certainly won't argue about it though as I enjoy reviewing PSUs.
Ebay tends to be the last stand for a lot of parts, once discontinued.
Maybe they're still widely available in europe, that's where Arctic is based.

It certainly wouldn't take much to make the unit a lot better. Changing the part number to 500RF probably would have gotten it an approved stamp from me, for use in mATX HTPC type stuff where you don't need long cables.
Alternatively, longer cables would be nice, as would more padding. It did make it to me in a shipping box that didn't have any meaningful padding in it either, maybe to prove that the clamshell works? I don't know.
It's a weird choice, in any case.

Back