• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice board! I do find this new "OC" edition motherboard to be more appealing then their "gaming" Fata1ity line. Hopefully ASRock will continue to bring out more of these "OC" boards for future chipset/generations. :thup:

Man that is one sexy looking board. Love my Asrock Extreem4 it's everything I need. ASRock has really done good the last couple gen's. great review

Nice board! I do find this new "OC" edition motherboard to be more appealing then their "gaming" Fata1ity line. Hopefully ASRock will continue to bring out more of these "OC" boards for future chipset/generations. :thup:
Here is to hoping! This thing really needs to get chilly and I hope to get a chance to do that this weekend... the 3770k is just begging for that treatment on this board. :thup:

Man that is one sexy looking board. Love my Asrock Extreem4 it's everything I need. ASRock has really done good the last couple gen's. great review
No doubt they have. The Z77 Extreme 4 is arguably the best bang for your buck board available on the market today. And this one coming in with the feature set it has at a mere $239 is a very good deal for those looking to push the limits and go extreme (dry ice and Ln2, not water). :thup:

Fail, no thunderbolt port like my MVE.

:facepalm:

J/K, that is one sweet motherboard.

I wonder if it will end up with similar issues with the vaseline treatment that Matt has been giving his boards for insulation.

No clue...I dont(wont) use vaseline so... not sure. It would be easier due to the caps and such vs artist eraser but... yeah, not my style to bathe my boards in lubricant. :p

Is there any picture without a yellow blurr?

Simply a picture where the board is hold into the sunlight and without flash. Even some metal parts of the board are looking golden but real color is gray.

Guess i told once, i got me a Extreme M4 X79 MB from Asus/Asrock once, and the gold layer was that thin that the color was barely visible. Found out that the stuff provided on pictures seems to be faked or oversaturated on purpose. Thats pure marketing and not the stuff good review sites should provide.

Last edited:
Yellow blurr?

None of the pictures used the flash...what you see is what was taken. The lighting did not change throughout the shoot.

None of those photos were taken with a flash. He uses a lightbox; a white one in this case, which appears to be tinted by the board's hues. Or the white balance on his camera was off for some reason. :)

EDIT - Wow, I'm slow. ED got to that five minutes ago!

I can see what Ivy is saying that it seems the rest of the lightbox was tinted yellow due to the colors I suppose. Still good looking photos, but I guess could be edited with PS to have it taken out/etc.

Again, great review, Joe. I can't wait to see your results when cold :)

I was switching the color balance of my sreen to cold (contrast is middle value) and i still see oversaturated pictures with a strong body at yellow. So there is something wrong with the balance. I dont know its background and i dont wanna know, all i want to know is the true colors. Because i know what i got, and it was different.

In some months i plan to buy a new high end camera and i will surely provide a real picture of a comparable board (regarding the colors, especially the priced "golden caps"). Will make a 4k2k shot at that time with finest details, else no one would believe me. They just think they can fool customers by shiny pictures and when its arriving it looks like metal with a almost invisible gold blurr.

On the new Newegg pictures its actually correct, the color is about right at the 3. picture (from image gallery). But all the others are still inaccurate. Thats how it truly looks, but i cant directly link it, nor can i use that pictures (copyright issues). On the 3. pictures the layer is barely visible. Its not same board but its the same caps used (they say). Can clearly be seen, a few caps are that weak layered, that it is barely visible.

Now use the one above from Overclockers... difference is huge.

Anyway, im very good at colors because im good at art and color is playing a huge role in my life, its not something i "ignore". When i say its inaccurate, its usualy reality.

Last edited:
I'll check the settings on the camera, but it could be the lighting just wasnt up to par. The colors really are not much different at all IRL.

I need to buy those cheap lights at home depot I think, get it a little 'whiter' (I would not be going through 85 pictures and adjusting the color out, I assure you, LOL!).

EDIT: Saw your edit... I get it. Thank you. :)

Last edited:
So they both was priced as "golden caps" but they are actually different? Is it the same cap or did they actually turn down on gold layer just for that single series (in order to save a few $) ? Sometimes i truly believe we are totaly fooled by different strategys. Some got "apparently" the same stuff such as others but its not reality. Only the "highest end" is at the true condition, other stuff is in some way watered down and no one seems to notice or bringing it up.

I had comparable stuff with the DCII coolers. The 7850/7870 DCII from Asus was in no way comparable to another double slot cooler from a 7950/7970 series, but it got the same name [DCII] and from the outside it looked same. Asus pretty much is acting in such a behaviour with a lot of fooling inside, and i cant anymore be sure what i truly get. In fact i was able to find a lot of different DCII designs and it started to become very confusing, now i experience same with boards.

I officially put my disgrace for Asus using such kind of (fooling) strategys and will stop buying stuff from Asus as long as there is a way to get a comparable alternate solution, thats it.

Last edited:
If you actually pay attention, it's pretty simple to discern which DirectCU II coolers are which, considering one is triple-slot another is dual-slot. I don't think something that simple to figure out is worthy of "disgrace". Unless you do actually purchase products based on model name alone without so much as looking at a photo of them.

The caps on my Z77 Fatal1ty were those gold things too. Much more gold than the Newegg photos.
Not quite as gold as the OC Formula photos.

Example:

Last edited:
:D Anyway, the first thing i got in mind when i was unboxing my board is "where are the golden caps", and then i was starring at the caps and had in mind "how is it even possible to make a barely visible layer probably at 0.1 micron and 0.5 micron" (at the stronger spot). Was indeed a funny experience.

Edit: The board above looks pretty accurate to me in colors. And its clearly stronger gold than mine... oh sheesh. Didnt know something like that is possible but when they are playing around at the broken micron level (something like 0.1 i guess, really cant say, im not a jeweller), its pretty true.

About the 2 vs 3 slot DCII i will investigate. As far as i know there is not only 3 slot coolers, but i currently lack a picture. The stuff i was able to clearly see is that the backside of the sink was different (much more pipes) and from the front it looked the same but cant remember 2 slot or 3 slot. At that time i didnt know that they actually use 3 slot, so didnt pay enough attention. They use 3 slot but as far as i know its for TOP series only (not sure).

Investigating... cant find stuff yet, but when its true what you said then i would be wrong (since as long as they can be clearly separated from each others, 3 vs. 2, it would be OK). Of course there has been 2 slot revisions too, which is another headache to me because i got the worse stuff (i missed the V.2 revision). I just feel like im being fooled by buying those stuff.

Last edited:
Back