• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Shows Off TressFX in Tomb Raider

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It wasn't even much of a consideration in rendering before Disney's Brave. There hasn't even been enough computing power before now to handle every strand of hair as its own entity, applying physics to each one. That's very computing intensive.

One 7970 for the game, and another one for the hair only: kind of expensive hair dresser:D

I am surprised at how luxurious she can keep her hair whilst stranded on an uncharted island...

I wonder if this tech could be easily translated to folliage(long grass, weeds, etc.) I would imagine that it would not be overly difficult. But I guess implementing it on that large of a scale is the real challenge...

If they could scale it to every piece of ground foliage, tree leaves, ect. Would be pretty awesome, but I don't believe our comps could handle that much ATM.

I am surprised at how luxurious she can keep her hair whilst stranded on an uncharted island...

I wonder if this tech could be easily translated to folliage(long grass, weeds, etc.) I would imagine that it would not be overly difficult. But I guess implementing it on that large of a scale is the real challenge...

Now that would be a good reason for a PhysX card. Heh, ironically based on how NVIDIA is doing in this game so far, you'd need an AMD dedicated physics card instead. :p

I wonder if NVIDIA is starting to regret the decision to cripple compute performance on the non-workstation cards yet.

Want to run TressFX? Choose either $400 HD7970 or $1000 TITAN... :rofl:

Now that would be a good reason for a PhysX card. Heh, ironically based on how NVIDIA is doing in this game so far, you'd need an AMD dedicated physics card instead. :p

Now thats an idea, a dedicated TressFX card :p

Imagine a game like Skyrim where all of the animals had silky smooth conditioned hair, it would be amazing :rofl:

I just obtained a key for Tomb Raider from AMD. We'll see just how this performs on said TITAN currently, followed by an HD 7970. I should have time to do something with it this weekend/early next week. I'll report findings in this thread. :thup:

I think this is a great start! I'm always excited to see anything that helps pull me into a game and I think the details that are often over looked do this. and this is one of those things.

and while right now I'm sure this isn't able to be implemented on a large scale pwnmachine is right on it! it would be amazing too see grass, bushes, rope and possibly other objects benefit from tech like this.

I would have thought they would focus on the physics of something else for Lara Croft instead of her hair.

AMD can hype up TressFX all they want, but let it be known, you DO NOT need a Radeon 7000 series gpu to enable the feature; my GTX 660 Ti renders TressFX just fine. :p

Whoops, AMD accidentally gave me an already-activated code...turns out I'm not downloading Tomb Raider presently. I'll let you know when it's straightened out and I have a chance to try it. :salute:

EDIT - Bansaku, no one has said you need a 7000 series GPU to enable the feature. In fact, in the article, I mentioned NVIDIA was having performance problems with the game, which I thought by implication meant NVIDIA cards can enable the feature without issue. :shrug:

I've had my code sitting in my email since Feb 27th and have yet to download it. Due to no Internet. Gonna go to my sisters house today and download it.

FYI:: it's buggy as hell with 13.1 drivers

the hair is all erratic and bounces everywhere. looks completely like a game bug vs what those screen shot show.

Back