• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Intel to Buy Rival AMD: Old Rumors Resurface

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My only fear would be total lack of competition. In the budget realm at least AMD keeps Intel on its toes, if not in IPC performance.

Could you imagine the GPU power of an AMD APU combined with the CPU power of an Intel CPU a generation from now? The generation-after-this consoles would be just as good as a PC at 1080p.

Shouldn't be allowed. I know I feel a certain sort of way about AMD but ARM does not make desktop processors, server processors, etc, (to my knowledge?) so there would be no competition? Absolutely not. And what of the graphics cards? Intel GFX cards vs nVidia? It would be an extremely hard choice =P

Totally agree with hoki, no competition = much higher price and since Intel is the one that keep the price high .... if intel buy AMD... i dont see the price going down !

^Really not sure about that.
Intel has (roughly) 3 lines of CPUs: locked i3/i5, unlocked i5/i7, and Extreme/x79.

They all find owners, in different proportions, sure, but they find owners.

I really don't think the US government would allow this. Hell, the AT&T - T-mobile merger would have created less of a monopoly and that got broken up. This essentially creates zero competition in the x86 CPU market.

I really don't think the US government would allow this. Hell, the AT&T - T-mobile merger would have created less of a monopoly and that got broken up. This essentially creates zero competition in the x86 CPU market.

Truth.

Rumors are rumors for a reason. Though someone surely made a boatload of money off that uptick from it.

Agree as well. THough what is interesting is the theory that because of the ARM stuff it could go through...

But then again, Sirius and XM merged too and there isnt any competition there... :shrug:

I don't see the government blocking it, personally.

I don't want to see it happen, either.
The only plus for the consumer would be on the GPU end, Imagine for a bit that the ATI/AMD GPU people now have actual serious R&D money!
What now, Nvidia?

EDIT:
As a note, of course they're "thinking about it", lol.
I think about buying AMD sometimes.

Fortunately, just a rumor. AMD will be rolling in more soon with the next generation consoles expected to use their chips. Besides, how would you say their name?

Inamd?

I nam'd the first x86 chip with Cool N Turbo Boost.

Truth.

Rumors are rumors for a reason. Though someone surely made a boatload of money off that uptick from it.

:thup::thup: This is the biggest truth right here. People love to play games with other peoples money!!

Though someone surely made a boatload of money off that uptick from it.

Yep. Stock is up 34% from $2.68 on Tuesday to $3.60 this morning.

Imagine for a bit that the ATI/AMD GPU people now have actual serious R&D money!

AMD with money would be a totally different company. They manage to do not bad at all with the budget I imagine Intel has for cleaning and maintenance. LOL

Yep. Stock is up 34% from $2.68 on Tuesday to $3.60 this morning.

AMD with money would be a totally different company. They manage to do not bad at all with the budget I imagine Intel has for cleaning and maintenance. LOL

Now if their stock price just doubles from there I will be close to breaking even. Yep, even. :(

I think Intel is interested in AMD's business contracts, more so than the company itself. :)

and Intel does have the cash to buy, and AMD is Cheap in a sense it has been struggling on the company shares level.

NVDA has good business contracts too, but comparatively, AMD is a better bargain buy for sure.
Chips company merging is nothing new. AMD itself is a merger or many companies, same with NVDA. :)

AMD is just big enough to be considered competition, but not large enough to be any real threat to Intel. It benefits Intel more to keep it the way it is.

I don't see the government blocking it, personally.

I don't want to see it happen, either.
The only plus for the consumer would be on the GPU end, Imagine for a bit that the ATI/AMD GPU people now have actual serious R&D money!
What now, Nvidia?

EDIT:
As a note, of course they're "thinking about it", lol.
I think about buying AMD sometimes.

ya I agree IF intel got AMD think of what a 9970 would be with the monwy intel and throw at stuff we could get a GPU with hyper threading :D
or who knows!

just really bad for CPU market! :rain:

ya I agree IF intel got AMD think of what a 9970 would be with the monwy intel and throw at stuff we could get a GPU with hyper threading :D
or who knows!

just really bad for CPU market! :rain:
A 9970 with HT, now that would be something.

AMD is fine where it is now, APU's and good Price/Preformance GPU's are it's fortay, while Nvidia takes up the high-end GPU market and Intel with the high-end CPU market.

Back