• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE EVGA GTX 780 Classified ACX Graphics Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Whether it's a motherboard or graphics card, when EVGA adds 'Classified' to the name, it usually means their best available option in any given product line. The GTX 780 Classified edition is no different, as it has a higher base/boost clock than any of their other GTX 780 models. Decked out with EVGA's new ACX (Active Cooling Xtreme) cooler, all the latest NVIDIA technologies, and the promise of performance worthy of the Classified name, let's get this party started and see what EVGA has in store!
... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome review! Good to see more people liking the ACX also, I know I love the silence that is mine.

Out of curiosity how's the spacing on them in SLI? It looks as though it may leave a sliver of space. I'm assuming that's going to cause issues considering the type of air flow?

Last edited:
Spacing will depend on how many you use in SLI and the motherboard's slot spacing. The card itself is no wider than any other dual slot GPU. Using two of these in SLI should be fine, especially if there is a slot or two between them, but again that will depend on the motherboard's slot spacing.

Lv... what was the maximum you were able to push the memory on this card? Jeremy's 780 hit 1800+, Matt's only managed where yours is for the O/C section so we have values that are all over the map. Was that the final peak clocks on the memory for this card?

What I did was take the GPU clock as high as it would go first. Then I started raising the mem clock. 24/7 stable was 1603 MHz with GPU at 1293 MHz. Once at that point I completely ran out of Power Target Limit. For the pushing the limits section I used the voltage adjustment utility and got the GPU to 1345 MHz, but had to lower the mem for stability and to get the Power Target Limit in check. If I get some time I'll lower the GPU to stock speed and see how far the memory will go. This card hits the power limit quickly, and like I stated in the review it really holds it back from what it's capable of. Again, when I get time I'll test one of the custom BIOS mods that allow a 200% target and see what happens.

The mem clocking will basically depends on which mems are on the card. The early version were equipped with samsung and the later are equipped with elpida. The samsung variety offer a better oc than the elpida, by a big margin...

Voltage utility? Is it specific only to Classified cards or will it work on a plain old Titan SC?

Voltage utility? Is it specific only to Classified cards or will it work on a plain old Titan SC?
I can't be certain of it it will work with the Titan or not, but from what reading I have done, it does support 780 series and 770 series cards.

You'll have to read through the thread, but this is where I first learned about it.
http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2347

Great review as always. That card looks amazing!

And now that I'm done with the pleasantries... I realize this is just my OCD kicking in, but I just can't read it and not notice them.

There are a total of six nickle plated heatpipes that all pass through the nickle plated block.

I think the word we're looking for in that phrase is nickel. The "silver looking" metal used to coat other metal to give them a chrome finish. The word nickle refers to a programming language.

Nitpicking; I know, but I can't help myself.

:chair:

Good eye Seebs! Not nitpicking at all bro, just another reason why I love our membership so much around here. Nothing like having several thousand proof readers on board....LOL!
Thanks!

Lvcoyote - thanks for the wonderful review. Linking the voltage utility puts it in a class by itself. For the price the extra 50 seem more than worth it. What is the least expensive? ~649?

thanks ED! btw why someone I know went with a 760 msi for ~239ish. Crazy!

Thanks again!

Just a little update. I loaded up a BIOS with a 130% Power Target limit and was able to get a run of Fire Strike completed just short of 1400 MHz GPU core. However, in order for the run to finish I had to drop the memory speed back down to its default :( Memory overclocking isn't what it used to be compared to a couple generations ago.... at least on this card anyway.

1396mhz.png

Back