• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE HIS R9 290X iPower IceQ X2 Graphics Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

HIS was kind enough to send along their new flagship R9 290X for us to check out, which boasts a factory overclock, a beefed up power delivery section, and a host of other features we'll dive into. Now that Cryptocoin mining has lessened its impact on AMD based graphics card pricing, cards in this class should be a bit more appealing to those in the market for one. The HIS R9 290X iPower IceQ X2 falls within the HIS "Turbo" family of graphics cards that promise a balance of great gaming performance and cooling.
... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang the card holds it own, even against a 780ti classified, AND its like half the price!

Never heard of HIS brand though. Do they in general make good stuff?

Dang the card holds it own, even against a 780ti classified, AND its like half the price!

Never heard of HIS brand though. Do they in general make good stuff?

I hate to say always, but I like to typically go with HIS myself. I have yet to have an issue with a video card (from the 5 from them), but I think they typically have the best price/specs.

Its a great card but DANG that thing is fugly. Funky ugly and why in the world so you need a carrying handle on a component that sits inside the case.

Its a great card but DANG that thing is fugly. Funky ugly and why in the world so you need a carrying handle on a component that sits inside the case.

Personally I think it looks fine. Not the best they have designed though. I was going to say the handle helps to pull the card out of the case since it looks like it is attached to the "extra" backplane, but I am unsure.

I dont even know what color that is exactly. Gold? Cream? if your going for a custom build around a certin color and no water loop this would not be at the top. Then if you count on the blue pcb thats still ugly unless you go all blue. I think HIS needs to work on there cooler design or at least color palette and put a full back plate. But wast funny is that this is a very great card. Just that color kills it for me.

I dont even know what color that is exactly. Gold? Cream? if your going for a custom build around a certin color and no water loop this would not be at the top. Then if you count on the blue pcb thats still ugly unless you go all blue. I think HIS needs to work on there cooler design or at least color palette and put a full back plate. But wast funny is that this is a very great card. Just that color kills it for me.

You do have a point there. HIS never seemed to have coolers that would "blend" in with any practical color scheme lie ASUS. But the cards do "stand out" unlike any other maker. :shrug:

For me I only care what components look like if everything else was equal. If one card was ugly but performed better I'd get that one.

My pc was all matching and stuff inside but then I bought a white cooler and its all downhill from there lol.

For me I only care what components look like if everything else was equal. If one card was ugly but performed better I'd get that one.

My pc was all matching and stuff inside but then I bought a white cooler and its all downhill from there lol.

I feel the same way. Right now I am moving everything to be on a rackmount. So no more "showing off" the inside (as much). But the 42U rack is pretty to look at too :thup:

Back