• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

74gb raptor $39.99

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chaos

Don't know if this is a good deal or not but Fry's B&M has Western digital 74gb Raptor hard drives for $39.99. They are factory reconditioned/recertified though.. If this is a good deal please respond 'cause I would like to go and get one...

Even with 10,000 rpms the new 'normal' hard drives are much faster, no?

1TB WD Black = ~$90
Faster, 10x+ the capacity, and only double the price.

Even with 10,000 rpms the new 'normal' hard drives are much faster, no?

1TB WD Black = ~$90
Faster, 10x+ the capacity, and only double the price.
Its close, but not faster. The raptor spanks it in seek times, and still should beat it in throughput.

just wondering if its a good deal or not. Will use it for my OS and then get a larger drive,.. It has a 90 day warranty which kinda scares me..

If you haven't ever used a raptor before, you'll likely be happy with the purchase at that price point. I remember when I got my used 36GB raptor thru the classifieds (still in use now, many years later) - the speed difference in installing and opening applications was CONSIDERABLE.

To get an SSD with a good quality controller and firmware whose performance doesn't degrade considerably after use, your going to spend 100's of dollars. To my knowledge, at this price, this raptor is as fast as a hard drive you could possibly get.

May want more feedback, don't decide in my word alone - I'm not the most up to date. Someone correct me if you think I'm off base.

$40 for a raptor is a good deal. It is a fast drive, especially on the seek times.

I had a similar experience with moving to a raptor for an OS drive over my Western Digital 250GB drive I had prior. However that was a RaptorX with 16mb cache which is a bit faster than that one with 8mb.

That same deal is at newegg also... ;)

If you haven't ever used a raptor before, you'll likely be happy with the purchase at that price point. I remember when I got my used 36GB raptor thru the classifieds (still in use now, many years later) - the speed difference in installing and opening applications was CONSIDERABLE.

To get an SSD with a good quality controller and firmware whose performance doesn't degrade considerably after use, your going to spend 100's of dollars. To my knowledge, at this price, this raptor is as fast as a hard drive you could possibly get.

May want more feedback, don't decide in my word alone - I'm not the most up to date. Someone correct me if you think I'm off base.

Nothing touches a raptor class drive for price/performance for main drive usage. I have 2 300GB VR's in raid 0 and it's liberating. People say you can't see it, but tell that to me when dalaran loads faster for me twice than it does for most people once.

It may not always equate to faster load times, but it definitely helps remove the bottleneck.

1 was almost enough storage space, needed another 50 so grabbed another drive for the speed increase of raid, and who needs backups on thier main drive? *shrug*

My caviar black is noisier than my VR's.

It was going in a htpc-but if you're saying its noisy, I may just get something a little bigger and quieter. Just went to fry's and picked up o WD 750gb OEM for 60.00...

If it was free I would buy a 74GB raptor.

Just get a high density dual platter 640GB HDD. Teh seek times are not larger different to those old raptors (there were two type of 74GB raptor though..I had the old cheap one)

Actual access time is over 8 seconds on those, but the STRs are so low you will feel more of hit then you would the benefit of the low latency.

JMHO

Last edited:
The new 2TB western digital drives are supposed to be 7.3ms seek time arent they? Thats 10k RPM speed on 7200rpm drive. IMO, if you get a raptor, get a Vrap or pass on them. Even then, I noticed a HUGE performance boost going from a VRap to a SSD.

Sorry to hijack, but I'm hoping someone can answer this:

Using HD Tune 2.55 to test WD 74gb (10k RPM) and 320gb (7.2k RPM)

74gb:
transfer rate avg is 62 mb/sec
seek time is 8ms

320gb:
transfer rate avg is 80.5 mb/sec
seek time is 16.8ms

Which of the following data is indicative of performance (both are I realize) but If you had to pick which is faster, what would one base his decision on, seek time or transfer rate? The fastest of these two drives I will dedicate as my OS drive. Thanks in advance and looking forward to what you guys have to say!

Sorry to hijack, but I'm hoping someone can answer this:

Using HD Tune 2.55 to test WD 74gb (10k RPM) and 320gb (7.2k RPM)

74gb:
transfer rate avg is 62 mb/sec
seek time is 8ms

320gb:
transfer rate avg is 80.5 mb/sec
seek time is 16.8ms

Which of the following data is indicative of performance (both are I realize) but If you had to pick which is faster, what would one base his decision on, seek time or transfer rate? The fastest of these two drives I will dedicate as my OS drive. Thanks in advance and looking forward to what you guys have to say!

74GB Raptor can find data faster, but doesn't transfer as fast. 320GB drive can transfer faster but has a harder time finding it. I'd say the raptor is the faster drive for a program drive or for something with LOTS of little files. The 320 is better for big files.

i was having probs with 1 of my retail 74gb raptors and sent them both in. got 2 refurbs back with 80gb. been running fine for a couple years...

Back