• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7500 vs. GF2ti200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Project86

My friend was aksing me this question, and I was really at a loss to help him, but I though someone would know: Radeon 7500 and Geforce2 ti200 are both around $50 from pricewatch.com

Which one would give him the most performance for the buck? He's minor into gaming, nothing crazy. Some CS, RtCW, Flashpoint, stuff like that. Not interested in the highest setting, just 800X600, decent fps, and clean clear look. Doesn't need any other outputs, just VGA. So..... what do you suggest?

He has:
Duron 1.3
192 mb RAM
MSI K7T-turbo
Win98se

Oh also, how about overclocking? I'm the one who's actually curious about this one, just for the heck of it.

james.miller

according to this:
http://oc3dmark.octeams.com/cardguide.html

the gf3 ti200 is better. id go for the radeon 8500le, poeple are saying its a great card, if you can afford the extra $$$

edit: actually stay with gf3 ti200, he's duron is gonna be pretty much maxed out by the gf3, so a faster card isn't worth the $$$ unless he upgrades other components as well (like his cpu)

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
cards

GF2 Ti's can get a few more FPS than 7500s. 7500s seem to have clearer 2d and more vibrant colors. They also support just a few Directx 8 features, though they are not completely driectx 8 compliant.

I owned a Leadtek GF2 ti and it overclocked pretty well- from 250/400 to 305/527. Scored around 6000 in 3dmark2k1. I'd say that's really only about 15-20% slower than a GF3 or 8500 in FPS.

Either card is still good for moderate gaming in mid resolutions with medium graphics settings.

funnyperson1

the 7500 is faster, but not by that much......both of those will do what he wants....question is, will he be playing any games in the future? how long does he want this card to last, if he pays like 20$ more he can get a Geforce3 Ti200 or a Radeon8500LE which can play those games listed at 1280x1024 and can play new games like MOhAA and Battlefiels 1942, not to mention DoomIII would be a stretch on those 50$ cards......

as for ocability, i believe the 7500s were beastly ocers, but the ones available for 50$ were made by cheap companies, and the ones built by ati were very good overclockers....a good brand of G2 Ti should be better than a chinese 7500

also be sure to use www.resellerratings.com so our friend doesnt get burned

Last edited:
OP
Project86

Project86

I'm sure he's like to play some new stuff here and there. I think this will be his card for the year, and sometime next year he wants to get a new fast XP cpu, and a stick of 512mb RAM, and a new high end video card. So this will just have to hold him for a while. But I'll ask him about the budget, because for $20 more that does sound better. Then again, there's always something better for just $20 more...

funnyperson1

Project86 said:
I'm sure he's like to play some new stuff here and there. I think this will be his card for the year, and sometime next year he wants to get a new fast XP cpu, and a stick of 512mb RAM, and a new high end video card. So this will just have to hold him for a while. But I'll ask him about the budget, because for $20 more that does sound better. Then again, there's always something better for just $20 more...

well after the 8500LE the next significant jump is 40$ more and 15% faster, so not really :)

TheFrag

i am confused. Am I to assume he means a G2 ti or a G3 ti200? The geforce 3 would win hands down. Anyway, I dont think that I high quality card would make sense because he only has 192 megs (that is so coll of an amount of ram) of ram and that prolly wouldnt be enuff for upcoming games. I am assuming he has SD-RAM, i dont think they made 64mb sticks of ddr. What video card does he have right now? The odds are he should invest first in ddr and at least 256.

funnyperson1

TheFrag said:
i am confused. Am I to assume he means a G2 ti or a G3 ti200? The geforce 3 would win hands down. Anyway, I dont think that I high quality card would make sense because he only has 192 megs (that is so coll of an amount of ram) of ram and that prolly wouldnt be enuff for upcoming games. I am assuming he has SD-RAM, i dont think they made 64mb sticks of ddr. What video card does he have right now? The odds are he should invest first in ddr and at least 256.

i think he means Geforce2, you cant find a Geforce3 for 50$ very easily.....i happen to think a Geforce3/8500 would give a far more significant performance gain than DDR would....an overclocked 8500LE is almos twice as fast as a Geforce2 Ti....from what ive seen ddr adds 20% in performance....

TheFrag

I was just saying, dont go to crazy. The 192 megs of SD-RAM might bottleneck it. He should prolly just get some more SD-RAM. It is at an all time low...........

TheFrag

I THINK YOU SHOULD JUST DISH OUT THE CASH FOR A RADEON 9700 AIW! But seriously, the price is just going up. Started at $50(for the R7500 and g2ti) and is now at about $100 for an 8500. Price has basically doubled.

TheFrag

yep, i to would get the Radeon 8500 LE. I was gonan get one but I was convinced to get a ti4200p turbo! Whenever you ask for which video card you should get, remember, post a generation younger than you really want and people wil recommend the ones from the generation you are really gonna get! :D :p :cool:

Cisco Kid

Project86 said:
My friend was aksing me this question, and I was really at a loss to help him, but I though someone would know: Radeon 7500 and Geforce2 ti200 are both around $50 from pricewatch.com

Which one would give him the most performance for the buck? He's minor into gaming, nothing crazy. Some CS, RtCW, Flashpoint, stuff like that. Not interested in the highest setting, just 800X600, decent fps, and clean clear look. Doesn't need any other outputs, just VGA. So..... what do you suggest?

He has:
Duron 1.3
192 mb RAM
MSI K7T-turbo
Win98se

Oh also, how about overclocking? I'm the one who's actually curious about this one, just for the heck of it.

If you only want to spend $50 then the 7500 is your better bet of the 2. It can play any game out now maybe not with max settings but based on his system the 7500 is fine. It offers a few DX8 features not all though. Offers great dvd hardware support , great 2 better then the G2 Ti cards and if it is an ATI built card they overclock well.

Personally I would not spend more than whay you mentioned for now, look at getting more ram even though it is sdram. Down the road he will prolly upgrade cpu and mobo and video card so for now spend the least...thats my opinion The G2Ti200 and 7500 are close cards and as Arkaine pointed out he scored 6000 3D Marks and with my old 7500 I was around 5500, but to really compare you would have to put each card in identical system. Either way they are very close and both are stil decent cards.

If he must spend more the best bang is the 8500 LE card w 128 DDR but his ram and cpu will be the bottleneck

cisco kid

ReDeeMeR

Um there's no such thing as Gf '2Ti200' your talking about GF3 Ti200.

Radeon 7500 = DX 7 ie same as Geforce 4MX line but weaker
GF3 Ti200 = DX 8 ie same as todays GF4Ti4200 but weaker

Go with GF3Ti200, I've had it for a year and it ran everything pretty good, even UT2k3 if o/c at 10-10fsp

funnyperson1

Re: Re: 7500 vs. GF2ti200

Cisco Kid said:

If you only want to spend $50 then the 7500 is your better bet of the 2. It can play any game out now maybe not with max settings but based on his system the 7500 is fine. It offers a few DX8 features not all though. Offers great dvd hardware support , great 2 better then the G2 Ti cards and if it is an ATI built card they overclock well.

Personally I would not spend more than whay you mentioned for now, look at getting more ram even though it is sdram. Down the road he will prolly upgrade cpu and mobo and video card so for now spend the least...thats my opinion The G2Ti200 and 7500 are close cards and as Arkaine pointed out he scored 6000 3D Marks and with my old 7500 I was around 5500, but to really compare you would have to put each card in identical system. Either way they are very close and both are stil decent cards.

If he must spend more the best bang is the 8500 LE card w 128 DDR but his ram and cpu will be the bottleneck

cisco kid

he said he only wants this system to last a year at which point he will get a new mobo/cpu and video card....i think a 70$ 8500LE 64mb would give a larger performance boost than DDR and a geforce2...