• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7600GS a bit loose

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

patpat

Registered
Hi all,

I'd like to share my problem.
First of all, im using:

1. ASUS A8N-E
2. GeForce 7600GS
3. Venice 3200++ @ 2GB
4. CoolerMaster PSU 430w

I have been using XP since months ago after i bought a new monitor, and have no problem almost in anything (with 4x512MB Kingston ram slotted). That was when i have decided to convert to Vista, but problems were then started to surface such as 'Desktop window manager error and needs to close.' over few weeks.
So i started to suspect that my current VGA is not good enough to support Vista on my current monitor (samsung LCD wide 22"), have updated to the latest NVidia driver for Vista too. Other errors, such as pc gets restarted/BSOD starts to occur. After few of that incidents happened, the pc just wont boot at all. (no continous beeping sound, no single start up beep sound but everything is running) which i believe ram&cpu is properly connected. though so, i tried unplugging all hardware and plug back but did not work, so what i did was unplug all hardware off from the Mobo, leave it overnight, and was able to boot up the next day, subsequently i quickly rolled back to XP and able to use XP right after it gets formatted. and so i did some updation to SP3, and then.... it hangs halfway.. i restarted, able to boot, but unable to go to windows, it stopped with black screen and the mouse cursor.
so i restarted again... -_- then the problems (the pc just wont boot at all. (no continous beeping sound, no single start up beep sound but everything is running) which i believe ram&cpu is properly connected) happened again until now after few days.

so that is my problem.

So my attempts were:
removed the rest 3 of the ram, and let it run with only 512MB ram. no good.
i have noticed no overheating on cpu, chipset, nor vga, and no oc done.
i have noticed when VGA is slotted, i can see the pins are properly slotted deep, but on the other end, i can move it up and down. (so, i screwed to the cpu and tighten, but also no good)
tried switching display cable with the other end, no good
changed CMOS battery, also no good.

re-plugging everything really do me no good, have tried that almost 4 nights! so i have cleaned all of them. no dust!

weird thing is that, when i on the pc, everything is running on MB, but it does not have the usual single beep sound, and my screen is still blank (monitor is at standby mode). no heat on all the sinks i can confirmed you that.

my monitor is very new, about 6 months old.

so, is the loose on vga slot the cause of all this? or what is it?
i have no spare vga, i cant verify. but any workaround will do.
im really sad.

Thanks.

7 series cards have a big issue with Vista, I RMA'd my 7900GT KO and got a 8800GTS 320MB in return and it works flawlessly in vista and xp. Though I hate vista so I only use XP. ;)

Back