• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7600k not hitting full turbo boost speed with ASRock H270M-ITX/ac motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow that is very interesting, I don't think it is due to the south bridge chip set, it's probably the VRM or Bios programming. They defiantly new there was a problem, they gave you a fix with the first ASRock board.

Could you show a screenshot of HWmonitor with Turbo boost at stock settings, I'm wondering if it works like my board?

Last edited:
There are no VRM issues ... it's normal that auto settings are trying to meet intel specs regarding power saving etc. If boost is not going up to max declared frequency then something is wrong with BIOS or its settings and that's all. When you overclock manually then it's recommended to set at max all these options that ASRock guy said.
On MSI Z170 ITX I had additional issue. Motherboard was shutting down when it was passing some power limit. In next BIOS releases MSI added option to turn off that stupid OCP/OVP protection.

Wow that is very interesting, I don't think it is due to the south bridge chip set, it's probably the VRM or Bios programming. They defiantly new there was a problem, they gave you a fix with the first ASRock board.

Could you show a screenshot of HWmonitor with Turbo boost at stock settings, I'm wondering if it works like my board?

View attachment 191000

I can give you a HWMonitor image at stock settings later on. Right now I'm doing a little preliminary overclock testing out of the case. Like an idiot I forgot to remove the water pump back plate from the motherboard I returned earlier this week so had to order the part from Corsair for the H55 I have installed in the case. It's supposed to arrive this afternoon. Right now I'm using a Noctua NH-L9x65 top down air cooler on the breadboard setup. Nice little cooler and does a great job but inside the CM 110 Elite cube case it leaves only about 12-13 mm of air space sitting there underneath the PSU and the fan gets starved for air.

If there is fan in psu which is just above the cpu cooler then turn around cpu fan to force airflow. This cooler is quite good even though is small. I have it on Ryzen 1700X right now.

If there is fan in psu which is just above the cpu cooler then turn around cpu fan to force airflow. This cooler is quite good even though is small. I have it on Ryzen 1700X right now.

Did you mean to say turn the PSU fan around to force air flow? As it is now, the PSU fan is pulling air away from cooler fan and exhausting it out the back of the PSU. I did consider reversing the PSU fan to exhaust into the case and push air into the CPU fan but I'm not sure if that would be as good for the PSU electronics temps.

Well, I've already got the Corsair H55 installed in the cube and even when the NH-L9x65 is used in open air the H55 gives a few degrees better temps under the same conditions.

Okay, Wingman, here's the pics. Looks like under load at UEFI default settings max turbo boost only happens at idle. Pretty much what I was getting with the H270 board when running except with the Z270 max turbo boost seems to have a longer duration so that it shows on two cores simultaneously in HWMonitor rather than just occasionally on one core or the other with the other board. Really glad now I got an overclockable board.

Attachments

• EUFI defaults idle.PNG
    EUFI defaults idle.PNG
    22.8 KB · Views: 159
  • EUFI defaults load.PNG
    EUFI defaults load.PNG
    85.9 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Did you mean to say turn the PSU fan around to force air flow? As it is now, the PSU fan is pulling air away from cooler fan and exhausting it out the back of the PSU. I did consider reversing the PSU fan to exhaust into the case and push air into the CPU fan but I'm not sure if that would be as good for the PSU electronics temps.

Well, I've already got the Corsair H55 installed in the cube and even when the NH-L9x65 is used in open air the H55 gives a few degrees better temps under the same conditions.

I meant to turn around CPU fan as it's blowing on the CPU and above CPU cooler is PSU fan which is blowing other way so to remove hot air from the case best is when cpu fan blows up and psu fan is exhaust ( which is also taking hot air from inside the psu ). That's just idea to check if PSU is directly above the CPU cooler.

Okay, Wingman, here's the pics. Looks like under load at UEFI default settings max turbo boost only happens at idle. Pretty much what I was getting with the H270 board when running except with the Z270 max turbo boost seems to have a longer duration so that it shows on two cores simultaneously in HWMonitor rather than just occasionally on one core or the other with the other board. Really glad now I got an overclockable board.

The i5 7600k should look like my i5 6600k with one thread using turbo boost.

Prime95 one thread default.jpg

Well the H55 backplate bracket came this afternoon and got it all back together. Am able to get it to 4.7 ghz with core temps topping out at 78c while stressing with OCCT. Very quiet. Radiator fan maxing out at under 1100 rpm. Vcore tops out at 1.264 under load. Delidding the CPU and putting liquid metal under the hood really helped with temps and enables me to get to within .1 ghz of what I was running the same CPU at on my big water cooling system in the full tower before delidding. No, I didn't win the silicon lottery.

Back