• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Intel i7 5775C Broadwell CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Keeping with their Tick-Tock model, Intel's latest "Tick" CPU comes in the form of the i7 5775C. As is the case with "Tick" releases, we have a new manufacturing process that advances the Haswell 22nm manufacturing process to Broadwell's 14nm. The Broadwell desktop CPUs will work on any Z97 chipset motherboard, provided the appropriate BIOS update has been made available. This release also marks the first time Intel has included the Iris Pro graphic solution on an unlocked desktop processor or even in an LGA package for that matter.
Click here to view the article.

Nice review Dino,

Overall I have to disagree on it's purpose/rating, or at least somewhat in the recommendation.

To make an argument that it could be capable as a gaming CPU without a discrete card, I would hope to see results showing at what setting/resolution does the game become playable (FPS in the teens and under 30 fps is largely considered unacceptable, and even sitting at 30 is pushing it).

I honestly don't see the purpose for this CPU. It is too expensive and overpowered for an HTPC (don't need all of those cores), but underperforms compared to previous generation architectures in many circumstances because of its slower clock speed. The only thing it wins at is using slightly less power at load, but it isn't that significant of a difference. It is also more expensive than the previous generation 4770k/4790k CPUs or at least the same price.

I just can't imagine any circumstance where in our build recommendations one of us would tell a user to buy that CPU over a 4790k for their new system (especially if it was used for gaming, as most of our readers do I would guess).

Good points all around Janus, which is why I mentioned it's probably not a viable alternative to the 4790K for the enthusiast/gamer crowd. I think Intel will need to address the pricing moving forward if they expect to entice the enthusiast users, my guess is they will at some point. AIO PC manufacturers will probably be the most likely to use this processor, as it's a good fit for those applications. The i5 5675C might be a better choice for HTPC applications as it should be well under $300, but still offers Iris Pro 6200 graphics. It'll be interesting to see how all this shakes out once Skylake is released too... interesting times ahead!

I guess my thought to that - is the OCF recommended badge for the average user/readers of OCF, or is it recommended for AIO builders? I just don't see it being a recommendable purchase to a user of a 'enthusiast/performance computing community'.

Per the description of Meh:
Meh

The product doesn’t outright fail, but it doesn’t quite do the job properly. This is typically a product with mediocre performance, a poor price/performance ratio or a product that is a little behind the times. Alternatively, it could be a product marketed at overclockers that doesn’t overclock well at all. Better alternatives likely exist at a similar price, making the product difficult to recommend. It won’t set your PC on fire, but it’s just not as good as other products in the same market segment.

I didn't want to get into any sort of an argument about it, but figured it could be said/noted.

Last edited:
We review lots of different products that aren't necessarily intended for enthusiast users - Portable devices, mainstream SSDs, mid-level cases, etc. Hopefully our reviews reach an audience greater than the users here :) But, your points are well taken!

Great review Dino.

I agree with Janus here though, it should get a "Meh".
It fits perfectly into "a product with mediocre performance, a poor price/performance ratio" and "Better alternatives likely exist at a similar price, making the product difficult to recommend."

Someone wanting a gaming machine would be better off with a 4690K and 750Ti than buying this for the better iGPU.

Approved

The product performs well at stock and at overclocking, for modding, etc. where relevant. It isn’t necessarily the best of its type, but it performs well enough that we could recommend it with a clear conscience.

I think the CPU meets that criteria too, maybe we need to revisit our rating system... LOL

^^^^^ this^^^^^^^
I had hopes that broadwell would be an upgrade from my 4790K, well it's time to ditch my socket 1150 gear and move on to 2011.
or perhaps the chat I had with Rgone a while back is comming true, if we want to play at this overclocking game, looks like we better learn to hack phones...........

I'm pretty sure this will be the last go around for socket 1150, it'll be interesting to see what Skylake offers.

well...... if it's as much as an upgrade as broadwell........... move along, nothing to see here folks, move along.........

I'd like to see the mobile version and see how the extra graphics play out with more computational power in laptops. Don't think it's worth an upgrade from Devil's Canyon for desktop.

I'd like to see the mobile version and see how the extra graphics play out with more computational power in laptops. Don't think it's worth an upgrade from Devil's Canyon for desktop.

Is there any performance increase from Haswell to Broadwell?
Or is it just a die shrink only?

Read the review :p

Tldr, essentially just a die shrink

ER yeah.

Power consumption way down, overall basically the same speed.
Iris pro will make this for some cheap entry level gaming PC choices like a LoL/DotA2 box.
Can't wait to see what broadwell does for laptops. 6hours+ on gaming laptops with graphics switching like Alienware and MSI? That'd be interesting.
Cheap entry level gaming/laptops rejoice.

Back