• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE EVGA Z170 FTW Motherboard Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Once again, I have the pleasure of reviewing a new installment from EVGA's FTW motherboard series. This time it's the Z170 FTW getting strapped on to the benching stand. With an all-new look, new features, and support for Skylake CPU's with DDR4 memory, EVGA has had their work cut out for them revamping the FTW. Let's see what they kept, improved, and dropped on this newest iteration.

Click here to view the article.

It is an absolutely stunning board to look at, the looks impressed me.

Removing quite a few features for the power users though, that didn't.
That said, I'm sure 90%+ of users didn't need DIP switches or voltage read points.

Nice write up Austin! :thup:I really like the looks of this board. What I like where the 8pin cpu power connector is located at now.

Nice write up Austin! :thup:I really like the looks of this board. What I like where the 8pin cpu power connector is located at now.

Thanks Neb :)

I actually meant to mention this in the review, I'm torn as to whether I like the new location or not.
On one hand, it's much easier to get to than up in the corner. On the other hand, you need to be mindful with large tower coolers of the cable coming up.

Come to think of it I'm torn as well, but I'm leaning towards the plus. I also really like they came back with the socketed bios chip. Sure helps when you have a borked bios and can purchase a new bios chip and just plop it in and you're back in business.

Come to think of it I'm torn as well, but I'm leaning towards the plus. I also really like they came back with the socketed bios chip. Sure helps when you have a borked bios and can purchase a new bios chip and just plop it in and you're back in business.

I definitely like the socketed BIOS chip. Quite a few top-end boards have this while keeping dual BIOS capability in the same price range though.

On the 8pin......why can't they find a way to do a sideways mount with some sort of stylized bracket for support? It's always a vertical connection....

Interference with top fans and tops of cases.

It's okay, I have two polar opposites... mITX and open air bench.

Back