• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7700K Overclock Problems.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elstryfe

Short back story this is a new build minus the power supply which is about 3-4 years old.

This machine when at stock clocks and up to 4.6ghz with adaptive voltage functions with no problems with XMP enabled.

The problem I'm having once I get to 4.7 and start adding voltage it starts to randomly restart no blue screen, crash nothing like I hit the power switch.

Now I thought maybe XMP was the problem so I turned that off same thing.

The only thing I can think of now that might be the issue is the power supply itself, I thought maybe the OCP was triggering so I split up where everything was plugged in on the PSU. Same issue.

When I do stress testing with ROG Real Bench, x264 Stability AIDA64 all come back passed it's only when the system has limited or no activity that this occurs.

System Specs:
EVGA Z270 Classified K
2x Samsung 960 PRO M.2 drives
Seasonic 1000watt PSU
NVIDIA 1080 Ti

I'm using a full water loop with 2 XSPC radiators and 16 fans in total. Also using EK Water blocks on the CPU & video card.

Temperatures have never gone above 70 when overclocked to 4.7 @ 1.27v

The only thing else I can think of is the PSU can't handle the higher overclock or I just got a bad chip in the batch. Has anyone else maybe had this occur before or can offer some insight into something else to check? Or am I on the right path as it is thinking it's the power supply?

I doubt your PSU is the problem. The CPU just doesn't draw that much juice. What is your vcore under load at 4.7 ghz? What does CPU-z say for core voltage under those conditions?

What choices besides adaptive do you have? Manual override? Offset? What is your LLC set to?

Personally, I would use Manual override to find what it does take to get it stable at 4.7. When you use Adaptive there are too many things happening automatically that you don't have control over.

What are you stress testing with?

It would be helpful if you would post back and attach a pic of HWMonitor having run a stress test for 20 minutes so we can see what temps and voltages are like under load. You can crop and capture screen images with Windows Snipping Tool and then attach them with your posts using the built in forum tool for this. Access the tool by clicking on the Go Advanced button at the lower right corner of any new post window.

At any rate, it doesn't sound like you won the silicon lottery.

I doubt your PSU is the problem. The CPU just doesn't draw that much juice. What is your vcore under load at 4.7 ghz? What does CPU-z say for core voltage under those conditions?

What choices besides adaptive do you have? Manual override? Offset? What is your LLC set to?

Personally, I would use Manual override to find what it does take to get it stable at 4.7. When you use Adaptive there are too many things happening automatically that you don't have control over.

What are you stress testing with?

It would be helpful if you would post back and attach a pic of HWMonitor having run a stress test for 20 minutes so we can see what temps and voltages are like under load. You can crop and capture screen images with Windows Snipping Tool and then attach them with your posts using the built in forum tool for this. Access the tool by clicking on the Go Advanced button at the lower right corner of any new post window.

At any rate, it doesn't sound like you won the silicon lottery.
ss_new.PNG

The only other options are manual and override. I did take a different approach to this since using adaptive. The default voltage was "Auto" so I manually set that to 1.320 and bumped up the core multiplier to 50 and did a 4 hour stress test with x264 stability and it had no problems. Max temperature was 79c I've attached the screenshot of hwmonitor and EVGA E-LEET software with CPU V-core while ROG Real Bench is running.

Back