• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

780 up in smoke need some help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Woke up at 2am to find my mother staring at my computer and my room smelt like burnt PCB. My computer was off and I didn't shut it down....

So i was able to get the PC up and running again but my EVGA GTX780SC has bit the dust. It reeks of burnt PCB and the PC won't boot with it installed.

Heres my issue: i bought the 780 from a member here so I don't know if I need to get his help with an RMA. And second, I flashed Skynet's BIOS to this card. That will screw up my RMA won't it... I don't think there's a way to flash the GPU in its current state..

So should I try to RMA anyway? Whats the warranty like on these GPUs anyway?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
EVGA goes by S/N so you should be OK to simply start an RMA assuming the card is under warranty (is that what you mean by 'what is the warranty like'?). You will find out if it is under warranty when you enter the S/N in the website. Basic RMA process Silver, that's all. :)

If they accept it and repair/replace it though, is another story... because of that BIOS. They may not have a clue what is on there either if it doesn't work and there is physical PCB/parts damage.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
...all of EVGA’s North American cards, the 780SC ACX comes with EVGA’s standard 3 year transferable warranty...

I wouldn't mention anything about the BIOS. It doesn't look like there is a dual BIOS on this card either.

Witchdoctor

your only chance is if they can not get it to work, they will pick up on the BIOS if they can get it going

I would not suggest you do anything to prevent that from possibly happening :rolleyes:

OP
Silver_Pharaoh

Silver_Pharaoh

Thanks guys! The card is done. Still smells like burnt PCB. Board does not even power on with it installed so sounds likw in good

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Hates to lose a loved one like that SIlver. You have my condolences

Culbrelai

What would cause a GPU to do this? Without being overclocked to oblivion how does this even happen? Q_q

OP
Silver_Pharaoh

Silver_Pharaoh

Hates to lose a loved one like that SIlver. You have my condolences
Ahh thanks Johan. I will miss her. :(
What would cause a GPU to do this? Without being overclocked to oblivion how does this even happen? Q_q

Modded BIOS with raised/disabled power limits...
This. Thats what i did. I noticed that the power delivery area on the back of the card gets very hot and it was very very hot after the card died. I guess it pulled a very tough work unit from folding and it killed it.

As for warranty, the 700 gpus were released in 2013 and EVGA has a 3 year warranty... I might just be lucky that its still covered.

On the bright side the pci slot seems to be fine. My GT420 card works fine in it.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
So, just want to get something straight... you modded the BIOS, and ran [email protected] on it........

I would think about that choice next time. There is a reason power limits are in place.

Also, I think the warranty starts when the card is registered, or if it is not registered, by the 'birthdate' on the S/N.

OP
Silver_Pharaoh

Silver_Pharaoh

So, just want to get something straight... you modded the BIOS, and ran [email protected] on it........

I would think about that choice next time. There is a reason power limits are in place.

Also, I think the warranty starts when the card is registered, or if it is not registered, by the 'birthdate' on the S/N.

Yeah i flashed skyn3t's BIOS to it to stop the card from throttling on games and folding... I guess i should have toned back the OC on the poor thing when i noticed the backplate getting very hot.

wingman99

EVGA is a honest company they will do you right, that card should of never failed that was a fire hazard.

wingman99

OMG I only read the two lines, modifying the bios what were you thinking you could of burned the house down!

OP
Silver_Pharaoh

Silver_Pharaoh

I wanted the damn thing to stop throttling at any overclock higher than boost is what I was thinking! (Seriously, like 10Mhz higher than boost and it would throttle)

Aaaaand this is what I get. Karma?

Either way starting the RMA process now.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
the way folding work units are all over the place in how the work a card I only clock them with the stock bios.........

OP
Silver_Pharaoh

Silver_Pharaoh

Next GPU will be modestly clocked on the stock BIOS for folding. I read about the 780's having a weaker VRM section so I guess I should have known better...

Well, I just finished submitting an RMA ticket through EVGA's guest service. I Hope they accept it.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
Yeah...when I heavily overclock my folding GPUs, I get driver crashes...requiring a system reboot.