• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7800GT vs Everything newer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
So I've had my trusty 7800GT since I bought it on the cheap from someone upgrading to the 8800's back in the day. I'm wondering though how does my 7800GT stack up now. For upgrade purposes what would be an equivalent card? A 8600? Something lower/higher?

Thanks

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
8600GTS sounds about right. It doesnt stack up with anything remotely modern frankly. But if its playing the games you play at teh settings you want, then it doesnt matter. :)

ratbuddy

^This^ :thup:
What do you play/use it for? Just out of curiosity...

Edit: Actually I just checked Prices on the 9800GT and they are under $100, so 8800 is good but the price difference I think would only be 15 to 20 dollars.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

I see at least one GTS 250 for $95 though, kinda makes it silly to buy a 9800GT for anywhere near $100. 4850 would have been a good option in that price range as well, except they seem to have mostly vanished from Newegg.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Im so confused... this guy just asked for his current card's equal, not an upgrade (though thats the next logical step). Am I reading this wrong or have you guys just trudged through the hidden meaning on his post?

ratbuddy

Im so confused... this guy just asked for his current card's equal, not an upgrade (though thats the next logical step). Am I reading this wrong or have you guys just trudged through the hidden meaning on his post?

I was just refuting some bad advice, not suggesting anything :beer:

OP
Shelnutt2

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor

You are right, I was just curious about my current cards equal. I don't really plan on upgrading right now. I haven't run into any games that my card can't handle. Medium settings at 1440x900 are okay by me, and it runs source engine on high with full AA.

GatorChamp

I see at least one GTS 250 for $95 though, kinda makes it silly to buy a 9800GT for anywhere near $100. 4850 would have been a good option in that price range as well, except they seem to have mostly vanished from Newegg.

I didnt even think of a 250 but the only GTS 250 i see on Newegg under $100 is a brand iv never heard of that has bad reviews. GTS 250 more or less equal to a 9800GTX.
I guess we both kind of though he was asking the questions to lead into finding the next step up in cards but wanted to keep it cheap.