• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Ryzen 7 2700X and Ryzen 5 2600X CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

AMD*is back again with the launch of their second generation of the ZEN core, the Ryzen 7 2700X and the Ryzen 5 2600X, which AMD refers to as ZEN+. The ZEN+ microarchitecture is a scaled down and a slightly tweaked version of the original*Summit Ridge microarchitecture launched last year and is code-named "Pinnacle Ridge".*AMD had a few goals for the new and improved Ryzen CPU such as raising the clock speeds, lowering*latency, and improving memory speeds/compatibility.

Click here to view the article.

Can't wait for some real numbers from people that have then.
Looks like AMD has another winner! I mean it's not like I am going to run out and get one, For the love of god I just bought this one 2 months ago! WTF!!! And a NEW line is already out making mine once again the slowest of them all! Why!!!!!!

These are real numbers.. what are you saying?

I'm sure you will want one here soon enough... you waffle a lot. :p

I mean real numbers from people that are testing them, sure they are real numbers but NOT real benchmark placing. KNOW what I mean? We can see how they do with each other not when say paired against the core i5 or i7.

I don't know what you mean. You can clearly see how they do here, be it with other CPUs on the graph or not. :shrug:

What are you saying 'benchmark placing'????

Soory if you do not understand what I am talking about I can not help you.
I can't wait to see real live benchmarks coming from real live people that HAVE them IN THERE SYSTEMS! This is all engineering crap!

You won't find more "real" benchmarks in the web ... what you see on the Overclockers are true tests. Most websites are showing pure marketing. Reviews on the Overclockers are not affected by vendors. If something is good or bad then we write about it. If you are not interested then no one is making you to read that.
On the forums you won't find many good tests as most users have no idea how to test hardware.
Reviewers here are putting a lot of work in these articles and no one is paying them for their work so simple thanks at least for spent time would be good.

I'm a real person and no these are retail. AMD always sends retail to reviewers. There wasn't anything I used that you can't go and buy today. The only thing between these benchmarks and ones I would run for submission is OS tweaking etc. These were just run vanilla and HW tuning only

The game results are 'real'.

The 7-Zip results are real (compression)

The POV-Ray results are real (rendering)

Cinebench R11/R15 results are real (rendering)

x264 results are real (encoding)

What more are you looking for from others? What is your preferred tests to see that are 'real' to you (though I'm araid to ask, honestly)?

You won't find more "real" benchmarks in the web ... what you see on the Overclockers are true tests. Most websites are showing pure marketing. Reviews on the Overclockers are not affected by vendors. If something is good or bad then we write about it. If you are not interested then no one is making you to read that.
On the forums you won't find many good tests as most users have no idea how to test hardware.
Reviewers here are putting a lot of work in these articles and no one is paying them for their work so simple thanks at least for spent time would be good.
I'm a real person and no these are retail. AMD always sends retail to reviewers. There wasn't anything I used that you can't go and buy today. The only thing between these benchmarks and ones I would run for submission is OS tweaking etc. These were just run vanilla and HW tuning only
+1

Finally an even clock review, very interesting to see a 2600x ahead of the 8700k in most tests, IPC increase and memory tuning are finally paying out :thup:

And Ryzen has a more efficient SMT which really makes up for the slight lag in IPC

Excellent work Shawn with all of the testing. Looks like we have a very solid and compelling competitor here.

thanks for the write up. pretty excited about Threadripper+.
the GPU drought could be a blessing in disguise. :)

can i ask why you use grey, grey, and grey, for the graphs?

cheers

Very nice review. I especially like the sub ambient runs.
The only part I wish you could change is the part where my Skylake is suddenly, officially, old. Damndamndamndamn. My next build has to be a Ryzen now.

Bad timing of the launch... been out all day so only catching up on reviews now. Performance, nice increases. Overclocking, on the low end of expectations. It seems all core 4.3 isn't as easy as I hoped, never mind trying to go for more.

Still debating if I should get one... my original plan was to get one, swap it into my 1700 system, move the 1700 into my 1600 system, and then see if anyone still wants to buy a 1600. For some things I do it does take an 8 core Ryzen to keep up with a quad Intel, so I do regret getting that 1600... I do wonder if I should get a new mobo as well though... also I'm away for work early next week so I could afford to wait to decide. See what really works, or doesn't.

Edit: decided the ASUS ROG STRIX X470-I is the best looking mobo I've seen in a long time. Swap that into my NZXT Manta (already red modded) and it'll look sweet... I really need to sell the older components to make room for it though...

Last edited:
Wow ..... False new didn't expect that ..... opps wait a sec that doesn't happen around here what you see here trickson is the real deal.

Nice review Johan .... as always it has been a long day today, Canada post just hasn't slowed down since Christmas and I was too busy to stop and read your review earlier. It's real nice to see the improvements that the new CPU's are showing almost makes me disappointed that I got in to the RYZEN platform with the 1700X ...... I did say ALMOST...... I will probably skip this iteration of RYZEN and wait for the next version in a year or so as I really don't have a need right now for an upgrade ..... loving my 1700X.

Shawn, what vcore do you estimate is necessary to get a 2600x/2700x stable on air at 4.0ghz for all cores ?

Back