• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7950x3d

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The easiest thing will be to use a standard cable, HDMI on both sides or display port on both sides. What will determine which cable is whatever output your motherboard has. If I understand correctly you're trying to buy a motherboard to connect to a cable that you already have that uses USB-C. Your market may be different, but I expect it would be much less expensive to just get a new cable that matches both your motherboard and monitor.

I think it is important to clarify that USB-C is the standard for the connector and port, but what is not so standardized is what you can do with that connector or cable. It varies quite a bit, especially with AMD systems where you cannot officially have "thunderbolt" marketed d/t copyright. Usually you only have one or two USB-C ports anyway, so unless you have a special need, you might prefer to keep those ports available to use with other peripherals.

The easiest thing will be to use a standard cable, HDMI on both sides or display port on both sides. What will determine which cable is whatever output your motherboard has. If I understand correctly you're trying to buy a motherboard to connect to a cable that you already have that uses USB-C. Your market may be different, but I expect it would be much less expensive to just get a new cable that matches both your motherboard and monitor.

I think it is important to clarify that USB-C is the standard for the connector and port, but what is not so standardized is what you can do with that connector or cable. It varies quite a bit, especially with AMD systems where you cannot officially have "thunderbolt" marketed d/t copyright. Usually you only have one or two USB-C ports anyway, so unless you have a special need, you might prefer to keep those ports available to use with other peripherals.
yeah so for example i buy the rog extreme/hero or the meg ace or the aorus master or aorus extreme that have the thunderbolt usb type c so 1 side the type c in motherboard and the other side the hdmi in the monitor!!!!

Last edited:
This is the IO for the x670 Aorus Extreme here: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X670E-AORUS-XTREME-rev-10#kf
aorus.PNG

I see the following connections (which we have been discussing): DP (Display Port), HDMI, USB-C 150, USB-C 250.

Now you'd have to look at the specific documentation to see if those USB-C connectors do infect have "thunderbolt" like capabilities. For most PC usage, I would simply suggest using display port, as it appears this motherboard had that feature, and your new graphics card will as well. I'm not sure why you are focused on using a USB-C connector for video when other appropriate, less expensive and dedicated ports are available.

I'm not able to look at every possible board, the above is just an example, but I would be surprised if most AM5 motherboards did not have either a display port or HDMI port on the rear IO.

Do you have a usage other than simply display that requires thunderbolt like capabilities? It feels like you are making things unnecessarily complicated simply to use "thunderbolt," but I may be misinterpreting what you are trying to ask.

This is the IO for the x670 Aorus Extreme here: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X670E-AORUS-XTREME-rev-10#kf
View attachment 361708

I see the following connections (which we have been discussing): DP (Display Port), HDMI, USB-C 150, USB-C 250.

Now you'd have to look at the specific documentation to see if those USB-C connectors do infect have "thunderbolt" like capabilities. For most PC usage, I would simply suggest using display port, as it appears this motherboard had that feature, and your new graphics card will as well. I'm not sure why you are focused on using a USB-C connector for video when other appropriate, less expensive and dedicated ports are available.

I'm not able to look at every possible board, the above is just an example, but I would be surprised if most AM5 motherboards did not have either a display port or HDMI port on the rear IO.

Do you have a usage other than simply display that requires thunderbolt like capabilities? It feels like you are making things unnecessarily complicated simply to use "thunderbolt," but I may be misinterpreting what you are trying to ask.
the master or the ace or asus is different
Post magically merged:

X670E AORUS MASTER-01.png The master have 2 dp and 1 hdmi

Last edited:
This is the vibe Im getting...

K.I.S.S = Keep It Simple Stupid.

If you're using the iGPU on the 7950X3D, just run a simple HDMI or DisplayPort like was said earlier. When you get your discrete video card, disconnect from the rearIO and connect it to your video card. Simple. No need for Type-C connections.

I somehow can't see a point in buying the most expensive CPU right now that won't even be utilized and getting a still expensive motherboard to use IGP. I'm lost if the graphics card will be soon or in ~8 months. In 8 months we may hear about the refreshed CPUs, significant price drops, or other things. Because of how fast everything is changing, it's best to buy all at once, not wait long months.

HDMI-USB-C/DP adapters usually cause problems with more than 1080p or are designed to work with specific devices. You may find one that is working, but in most cases, the best is to use DP - USB-C/DP.

For Ryzen 7000 optimal is DDR5-6000. It doesn't matter which brand or specs, as all well-known brands seem to work fine on current motherboards from ASUS, ASRock, MSI, or Gigabyte. Other brands are not really recommended anyway.

I somehow can't see a point in buying the most expensive CPU right now that won't even be utilized and getting a still expensive motherboard to use IGP. I'm lost if the graphics card will be soon or in ~8 months. In 8 months we may hear about the refreshed CPUs, significant price drops, or other things. Because of how fast everything is changing, it's best to buy all at once, not wait long months.

HDMI-USB-C/DP adapters usually cause problems with more than 1080p or are designed to work with specific devices. You may find one that is working, but in most cases, the best is to use DP - USB-C/DP.

For Ryzen 7000 optimal is DDR5-6000. It doesn't matter which brand or specs, as all well-known brands seem to work fine on current motherboards from ASUS, ASRock, MSI, or Gigabyte. Other brands are not really recommended anyway.
witch brand you hint?

witch brand you hint?
I tested most brands, and it's more like your aesthetic preferences than a specific brand. Most use the same IC, and most are not causing any compatibility issues. My ADATA, Corsair, G.Skill, and V-Color reviews are on the front page. I recommend something like G.Skill 6000 CL30 or Corsair 6000 CL36 as on both performance out of the box was great, and they overclock well, too (on AMD it's limited, but it still proves that RAM is good). Some other Overclockers users have G.Skill 6000 CL30 kit and seem happy.

I tested most brands, and it's more like your aesthetic preferences than a specific brand. Most use the same IC, and most are not causing any compatibility issues. My ADATA, Corsair, G.Skill, and V-Color reviews are on the front page. I recommend something like G.Skill 6000 CL30 or Corsair 6000 CL36 as on both performance out of the box was great, and they overclock well, too (on AMD it's limited, but it still proves that RAM is good). Some other Overclockers users have G.Skill 6000 CL30 kit and seem happy.
https://www.adata.com/en/xpg/DRAM-modules-LANCER-RGB-DDR5 this is ok for you?Ah what's mean D.O.C.P is similar Xmp?

Yes, it's pretty good. There will be one more ADATA Lancer review soon but for Intel. I just started tests.

Yes, it's pretty good. There will be one more ADATA Lancer review soon but for Intel. I just started tests.
Ah what's mean D.O.C.P is similar Xmp?So anyway thanks for the info i see this that i have linked or the corsair dominator or this Viper Venom RGB PVVR532G620C40K with pmic richtech that's is m-die or xpg 6000 caster!!!!

Last edited:
DOCP is the same as EXPO = profiles for AMD. XMP are profiles for Intel. In most cases, XMP works fine on AMD too. All mentioned memory kits will be fine.

DOCP is the same as EXPO = profiles for AMD. XMP are profiles for Intel. In most cases, XMP works fine on AMD too. All mentioned memory kits will be fine.
Ok perfect so m-die/a-die sk hynix will be good right?But xmp on am5 asus hero or extreme for exemple is with another name right?

Last edited:
All profiles work on higher ASUS motherboards. I have Crosshair Gene which is about the same, and everything works great.

i have say 2x32 because i want make 64 (2x32) + 64 (2x32) 128 in future @EarthDog anyway i have choose the x670e taichi but i have a doubt in the page of the taichi say so:

Integrated AMD RDNA™ 2 graphics (Actual support may vary by CPU)
- 1 x HDMI 2.1 TMDS/FRL 8G Compatible, supports HDR, HDCP 2.3 and max. resolution up to 4K 120Hz
- 2 x USB4, support HDCP 2.3 and max. resolution up to 8K 60Hz*

*Only the CPU's embedded graphics can be displayed through USB4 ports. If you want to display to a Type-C monitor, please use CPU models with embedded graphics.
what's mean?
That i can use my monitor in the port usb4?Or another monitor?

Last edited:
Use the HDMI port. Why do you want to use USB for this??

Then why ask?? ;)
ok for the hdmi because i have see this 2 x USB4, support HDCP 2.3 and max. resolution up to 8K 60Hz* so i was in doubt!!!For the ram OLOY is a good brand?For the moment i have 1 27 monitor with 2 hdmi 2.0 and 1 dp 1.4 with hbr3 2k (2560x1440p) and in the future i want to change monitor!!!

Last edited:
Back