• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Releases Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 20.2.2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

This morning, AMD released the latest version of the Radeon driver, AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2. Read on to see what problems have been addressed with this new update and any known issues that AMD is still working through.

Click here to view the article.

Ok, tested this for about 2 weeks and no go.
Still getting game crashes, black screens, signal would just be lost randomly from the card. Also getting a static screen sometimes.
OW for example, the hero gallery screen was flickering, playing one game then left to the main menu and the game crashed.
Its better I guess then the last drivers but still have a long way to go...

Back to 19.11.3 again.

I've also been running it for 2 weeks or so with no issues at all.

For me, it works without issues on the RX5600XT or RX5700XT which I was testing in last weeks. I know that soon (maybe in 1-2 weeks) should be an update which will probably raise the OC bar as most RX5600XT and some 5700/XT cards are hitting a wall at barely any OC. For example, I have XFX 5600XT THICC III Ultra which OC "all" 2%. This card is one of the best out of the box and could easily OC much higher. I have an unofficial BIOS which sets a higher base GPU clock but the limit in the wattman is still without changes. Right now, regardless of series, every RX5600XT has the same max clock - 1820MHz boost for GPU and 1860MHz for mem.
So I'm waiting on another update and will back to tests.

OUt of the several I have reviewed, I didn't run into any problems. That said, if you look around the web, AMD drivers are taking a pounding from users. The notorious black screen issue a major one.

Last edited:
I'm a happy user who has no problems at all for longer. Vega56 runs 24/7 for some months without issues (updated drivers maybe 3 times). RX5700 was working on my brother's PC for 3 months without problems. I was testing it with some other RX5700 also without problems and some weeks ago I moved to the RX5600 XT which only throws a green screen in one benchmark when I set maximum possible memory clock (10-20MHz lower is fine).
As I said, I had some info that soon will be a new driver which should change some more so we will see if it's better or not.

Anecdotes, both of us. :)

But it is clear AMD drivers, in particular since Navi release and the first Adrenalin 2020 drivers have had several issues. Just because we haven't run into it, doesn't mean there isn't a problem. :)

It will be interesting to see if drivers unlock more overclocking capabilities, but mostly what users want is stability from their recent drivers on Navi.

So why do some Navi users have problems and others do not? Is it "trusted partner" customizations that cause problems? Other drivers or software running on certain machines? Display variations? Somehow this doesn't make sense to me. Are there any patterns that have developed that might shed light on these problems?

If there was, there would likely be a lot less issues going on or most would have been resolved in a more timely manner. I don't know percentage-wise how many this is affecting, I assume little overall (a few percent?), but from the sheer number of complaints about known issues, it's a lot more than typical.

Considering how many of these cards were sold, I assume that in total not so many users have these problems. Still enough so AMD added the issue to their "to fix" list.
It can be related to some brands or BIOS releases as there were cases with too high clocks for some card series which were causing black/green screens.
If it was a really high % of cards affected by this issue then forums everywhere would be flooded. On the OCF I've seen barely a couple of single posts about it ... and the premiere of RX5700 was some months ago.

Back