• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE XPG Gammix S50 Lite PCIe Gen4x4 Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks David. You reminded me of something I read this week regarding controllers. Rather than break out the particulars I'll share the Silicon Motion press release here.

Nice review. I expect you'll see a few more NVMe drives coming out soon and you'll be a busy camper.

Great review as always.

I have two questions for you, if you don't mind:

1. What do you mean when you say "...the drive will be sanitized from the motherboard bios..." during testing?

and

2. When doing your thermal testing, are you taping the temp probe on top of the controller under the heatsink or outside of the heatsink above the controller? The temp recorded in you chart are the from the probe or from software?

OK maybe that was three questions. LOL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks

1. Some motherboards have a Secure Erase function in the BIOS. I believe he is SE the drive from the BIOS.
2. I'll let him clarify... :)

@Blaylock

1. EarthDog has it! I was using the secure erase feature from the MB bios in between each testing phase.
  2. I tape the thermal probe on the heat sink, directly above the controller with Kapton tape. The temps I report are all measured with a Fluke 52 I and a K-Type probe. I have found the software temperature reporting to be very inconsistent or not even functional with some drives.

Back