• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE MSI Launches First 1000R ARTYMIS Series Curved Gaming Monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

MSI has just launched the Artymis series curved gaming monitor. The MSI Artymis is an ultrawide 34" VA display sporting a resolution of 3440 x 1440 (UWQHD) and running up to 165 Hz. The 1000R curved display is said to match the natural vision of the human eye. Additionally, it features a wide viewing angle of 178° and utilizes FreeSync adaptive sync technology. The list price is $900 and can be purchased through Newegg, Amazon, or directly from MSI. See below for the full press release along with complete specifications.

Click here to view the article.

Nice monitor.

Just got a 34" , not as nice as that one but less than half the price. I did not know what I was missing.:thup:

There was a bigger difference between this and my 60Hz 27" 4K then when I went from a 19" to a 24".

The higher refresh rate is just so nice. Even with a lower res, the colors are much improved.

VA panels are great for movies or other video watching, but if you're into twitch gaming I would stick with an IPS panel. The faster response of an IPS panel can create a noticeable improvement to your reaction and accuracy in these types of games. I don't consider myself to be a competitive gamer as I don't have the time to dedicate myself to climbing leaderboards, but I also don't like to lose, so I'll take whatever advantage I can.

As far as curved monitors go, I still haven't spent any time in front of one. I do a lot of spreadsheet work and have read that they can distort the users perspective of straight lines, so I've avoided them. Who knows, maybe someday we can start reviewing monitors and I'll get the chance to test one out.

VA panels are great for movies or other video watching, but if you're into twitch gaming I would stick with an IPS panel. The faster response of an IPS panel can create a noticeable improvement to your reaction and accuracy in these types of games. I don't consider myself to be a competitive gamer as I don't have the time to dedicate myself to climbing leaderboards, but I also don't like to lose, so I'll take whatever advantage I can.

As far as curved monitors go, I still haven't spent any time in front of one. I do a lot of spreadsheet work and have read that they can distort the users perspective of straight lines, so I've avoided them. Who knows, maybe someday we can start reviewing monitors and I'll get the chance to test one out.
That difference would only apply to hard core online gamers, old single players like me are better suited to VA and coming from a TN@60Hz panel this thing is a "Peach".

It looks way better for productivity than I imagined. The curved screen fits my eye. Not sure how a 39" would look, but that would be close to the limit before having to move your head.

It is only 32" wide so a 39" would be 37" I went back in forth...in the end for $399 this one was a steal.

Ah, the times, they's a changin'.

I remember back in the day (like, 5, maybe 10 years ago) the rallying cry was "don't use IPS, they're horrible for games, stick to TN!" And before that it was "don't use LCD panels for games, CRTs are the way to go!"

I've got a pair of IPS monitors, switched over from a pair of VAs (QNIX Q2710s) and notice no real difference. I follow a few "hardcore" FPS streamers on Twitch too, and overall they don't seem to have a preference, just as long as it's >60hz.

Technology changes, indeed. But good IPS panels, for gaming, have been around for at least that time. IPS was THE thing over VA for better/more accurate color reproduction. For the most part still is. :)

Back