• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7v

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AOpen

i saw a post about a guy making his power supply run a 7v rail, yes i have heard about this, but i just want to know why would you do this??

AOpen said:
...i just want to know why would you do this??

you missed tom. :p

basically, fans run at different speeds basedo n their voltage. more voltage = faster spinning (up to a certain point, then the fan just dies) and lower voltage = slower spinning and slower spinning = quieter. so if one buys a few 80mm tornados that make your ears bleed after a while, they decide to drop the voltage to slow the fans.

resistors or diodes or transistor based circuits could be used but theres variables there. but conveniently by hooking the fan between the 12 and 5 volt rails, the difference is consistant at 7 volts. so its an easy way to get lower voltage, requires no extra parts, and is easily undoable. its just a tactic to get a quieter system, or at least quiet down a fan some.

There is a guide to doing the mod stickied, in this forum.

hope this answers the question :)

Back