• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

800 CFM fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rudski

I was lookin through this car mag when i noticed this fan that cools down car engines and push's 800 CFM of air. its 24cmx24cm

I want to know if I were to buy some PVC piping and leave one end open and with the other end stick the fan into it, would this create a windtunnel effective for cooling? Im thinking that I could mod my case so that i have this pipe running from the top down to where the cpu fan sits. Replace the CPU fan and have 800 CFM of air sucking off the heat sink straight out my PC.

Would i suck up any diod's of the motherboard.

This does sound nuts and i know its gonna sound like a car but imagine a computer cpu running @ room temps on air.

:D

P4 2.0 @ 2.6 130FSb idle 39.5 load 47 (ambient temp 19)
Abit th711
512 RDRam pc800 @ pc1040
Geforce4 ti4600 ultra (stock)

Last edited:

64Thunderbolt

someone say fan grill....LOL
anyway, that soounds kool, there are alot of automotive fans that are not really that loud. I have a small unit from a MG that Im thinking of using in my custom case...

Cheers:beer:
Charlie

weponhead

rudski u just gave me a crazy idea to make some kind of r/c plane with one of those... "hmmm" 240 mm fan right?

Morbid

Nitpicker
Also... you might want to put up some chicken wire and danger signs around your tower. Just incase you have living animals in your house... such as cats, would be an ugly site. :p

willlangford

heck ya

hmm...one comment:
HELL YES!!

that would rock...hmm slk-800, ops you have a p4, then ax-478 and duct....i think that you could do some cool over clocking...or have you though about a car radiator and water cooling...:):)

~Will

OP
R

Rudski

lol @ will

Watercooling Im yet to be 100% convinced that it won't stuff-up my PC.

But yes this idea "should" be the same as watercooling.
At best this windtunnel will cool my cpu to room temps. Room temps r 20 odd degress, so im thinkin if worst comes to worst ill have a P4 2.0 @ 3ghz on air.

3Ghz asking too much from 800cfm fans?

ziah

the pressure level will probably make your heat sing collapse or explode!!needles to mention the hovering effect. my volcano 7 fugged my finger up (2 blade sheared off the fan) pretty good a few weeks ago. no blood but hurt like a bi*ch for 2 days. im over it.

~z

pmurgs

Registered
24x24cm... you might need a second psu to power the thing. How about trying to overclock (increase the rpm of) the fan <g>.

Anyway, GO FOR IT. It sounds like a really cool mod to try out and see how effective it is at cooling your pc.

OP
R

Rudski

The fan I saw in this Mag ran on 12volts :D

perfect for this project.

Well guys i have to say IM GONNA DO IT!!!!!!!

Ill post back when i do.

1 question, what about the pressure inside the case. DO u think i would need 2 fans, 1 blowing and the other sucking?