• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

802.11b NIC recommendations, going for ad-hoc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GT2000

802.11b NIC recommendations, going for ad-hoc, on Windows XP

I'm putting together a 2nd computer for the house, an xmas present for my little bro. First plan was to just run the cat5 and install outlets so I could share my cable connection with the 2nd comp (my comp is in my upstairs bedroom, 2nd comp is going downstairs, also at the back of the house). Decided I didn't feel like running the cables and was going to do wireless.

I'd like to run ad-hoc, in order to save some cash, I know it may be a little slower, but that's no problem, he's only going to be browsing the internet on it mainly.

I was looking at the DWL-120 that's currently @ newegg, however after a little research, I found the version currently available at newegg is not supported under Windows XP, does anyone know if it works unofficially? The price was right.

Anyways, I'm looking for a couple of wireless nics to get this setup come X-mas day, I'd rather not pay more than $70 per card (with shipping if applicable).

Miknow

Ive been also wanting to do this I have 4 comps 2 upstairs 2 downstairs....But bestbuy always has newtworking deals if you like MIR if you do set it up let me know how is goes because I might get it

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
I use the linksys AP with the wireless usb and I get full speed at over 100 feet and 1 floor down if that helps!?!

OP
G

GT2000

I try not to jump at Best Buys offers most of the time, unless it's a good deal without a MIR ;), can't stand the 2 month wait on the check.

@Stedeman

thanks for the info, but I don't plan on purchasing a router to get this going, I'm going to do this in the P2P manner.

ucfswimmer

Bestbuy has a netgear wireless usb nextwork adapter for like $59 right now with a $10 MIR...even w/o the mir the $59 by itself plus just tax and getting it asap is better than newegg

~jeff~

OP
G

GT2000

Thanks for the info, but as I mentioned before, I try to keep away from BestBuy most of the time. I found the information I was looking for on the linksys card, it's going to do the trick.

tseongsun

I don't know what the rules are on posting links, but www.techbargains.com has sick deals all the time. For a while Fry's electronics was having wireless cards for $30.

My college just got wireless setup all over campus so part of the responsibilities for my job is setting up wireless cards. I have seen pretty much every card on the market and I will tell you this. the older USRobotics suck in general because the utility is a POS and sometimes it will see the network but it refuses to connect ;(.

Linksys, some Dlink (not the 22mbps), and enterasys are all really really ez to setup with winxp. In general just get the cheapest card and if it doesn't work w/ your network just return it. Since everything is on the same standard you should be ok tho.