• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE MSI GeForce RTX 4070 Gaming X Trio 12G Review: Affordable Ada Lovelace?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

featured.jpg
After October and Nvidia's RTX 4090 release, users were met with the scary reality of high-priced graphics cards. Now this trend has been happening for generations now, but it's still a tough pill to swallow. Today marks the release of Nvidia's RTX 4070, which aims to offer top-notch performance at a less scary price. Starting at $599, many will still consider this card overpriced, but it's more affordable than the RTX 4070 Ti we recently reviewed and doesn't lose a lot of performance against it.
Click here to read more!

Ordered a 4070 FE so it'll be in my daily driver once it arrives. I wanted a 3080 at launch, and this performs near enough that, for less price both then and now (new). Many models are in stock at MSRP, and even one model below.

On the specific model, the 3070 I currently have is a Gaming X Trio model, and the cooler is great for that. At one UK seller, the 4070 Gaming X Trio is £670, compared to MSRP here of £590, so more of a jump. MSI also have the 4070 Ventus 3X at £590. Never understood all the differences between MSI's offerings.

I'm tempted to get a 4070 for the wife's rig. I like the return to 2-fan, 2-slot cards, 200W and single 8-pin power. None of them are getting high OC power limits it seems. Not so fond of the $600 price, though.

They left space for a 16GB configuration, too. 4070 Super someday?

Ordered a 4070 FE so it'll be in my daily driver once it arrives. I wanted a 3080 at launch, and this performs near enough that, for less price both then and now (new). Many models are in stock at MSRP, and even one model below.

On the specific model, the 3070 I currently have is a Gaming X Trio model, and the cooler is great for that. At one UK seller, the 4070 Gaming X Trio is £670, compared to MSRP here of £590, so more of a jump. MSI also have the 4070 Ventus 3X at £590. Never understood all the differences between MSI's offerings.
I couldn't find the 4070 FE anywhere. Not even listed. Was it in any popular store?

MSI looks like Ventus = lower series, Trio = mid, Suprim = high. However, their Ventus and Trio cards are somehow standard in the last gens. Ventus is even a budget series looking at some coolers with fewer heat pipes or other savings. The same is with Gigabyte. They can release 2 models looking almost the same, but one is cheaper and has 2 heat pipes fewer, or something like 2 of them only pass the center of the GPU instead of 4-6 that cover the whole die.

I'm tempted to get a 4070 for the wife's rig. I like the return to 2-fan, 2-slot cards, 200W and single 8-pin power. None of them are getting high OC power limits it seems. Not so fond of the $600 price, though.

They left space for a 16GB configuration, too. 4070 Super someday?
Somehow I doubt it. RTX4060Ti has already confirmed 8GB, 4070/70Ti has 12GB, while 4070 and Ti were already redesigned because of leaks and complaints before the premiere. RTX4080 has 16GB, and it would be the best option ... if not the price.
I guess that AMD will have something to say soon. They already drop prices for their RX7900/XT and recently for all 6000, including RX6800/6800XT series, which are still great. If not the wattage, the older gen would be a better option. RX6700XT was on sale recently too, and you can get it for $350. It's still a pretty good card, especially at this price, and has a lower wattage.

Last edited:
I couldn't find the 4070 FE anywhere. Not even listed. Was it in any popular store?
I don't know about other countries, but in UK you had to go via nvidia's website. If in stock, it'll redirect you to a special page on the reseller they use to fulfil it (Scan). You can't find it via the normal seller store listings. Based on the box labels my sample was one of a shipment of 200.

Maybe I missed it, but the Suprim doesn't make it to 4070... only 4070ti and up?
I only said in general about MSI :) I don't think there will be Suprim as RTX4070 is only in lower series from all brands as I see.

I don't know about other countries, but in UK you had to go via nvidia's website. If in stock, it'll redirect you to a special page on the reseller they use to fulfil it (Scan). You can't find it via the normal seller store listings. Based on the box labels my sample was one of a shipment of 200.
In PL I couldn't find it listed, so maybe it was only on the UK site. In our stores, custom versions cost too much, I'd rather add a bit more and buy 4070Ti.

In PL I couldn't find it listed, so maybe it was only on the UK site. In our stores, custom versions cost too much, I'd rather add a bit more and buy 4070Ti.
How bad is it? UK 4070 FE / MSRP is £590. Right now at the same seller who handled the FE, I see 4 AIB models in stock at MSRP, and one cheaper at £580. There are also many models above MSRP. Cheapest in stock 4070 Ti is £820 so quite a jump, even if it does offer more performance for it. The 4070 Gaming X Trio is on the higher price end at £670.

How bad is it? UK 4070 FE / MSRP is £590. Right now at the same seller who handled the FE, I see 4 AIB models in stock at MSRP, and one cheaper at £580. There are also many models above MSRP. Cheapest in stock 4070 Ti is £820 so quite a jump, even if it does offer more performance for it. The 4070 Gaming X Trio is on the higher price end at £670.
About £660 is the cheapest RTX4070, and £760 the cheapest RTX4070Ti. However, most RTX4070 look like budget series while RTX4070Ti have better coolers or other features. I like the FE design, but nothing with custom cooler is even close. These cards look more like RTX3060 after release.

I see that prices for the RTX4070 are already going down. The current lowest price in Poland is ~£600 right now (USD ~$750). The same for 3-4 models, including ASUS Duo. The FE version appeared in the Nvidia store but is sold out. Today was also info about some price drops for Palit cards, so I bet that also all other brands from the same manufacturer, like Gainward.
I'm not sure why I'm checking this, as I don't have money anyway.

I'll gladly get a 4090 for $1000, double the performance for 25% price difference from the 3080.

Well, not gladly, but I'd consider it, lol

Just looked at two major UK sellers. Not seeing any price movement here, except possibly a little on the 4070. Cheapest of the higher cards are still close to MSRP. I see one 4070 offered at £570, compared to £590 MSRP of FE.

I do wonder, are we finally returning to something comparable to before Ampere launch? It might seem like forever ago, but lasting shortages are not the norm. Some elsewhere see not selling out as a failure of a product, but to me it is a return to old normal. The old pattern was listing around MSRP at launch, and slowly creeping down over time after that. With stock generally available retailers do their games on pricing to try to get a sale without dropping too much compared to their competitors.

RTX4070 finally appeared in the local Nvidia store ... and I couldn't resist. As I said, I wanted the FE as it looks somehow better than all other cards, and after a quick look at the specs and power limits, it's still one of the best options but cheaper than the top RTX4070 OC series. Now I have to figure out how to cover one more unplanned cost :censored: The price was almost exactly MSRP.

The RTX4070 FE already arrived. The package is nice, and the card looks better in reality than in photos (it feels more metal and less plastic). I'm not sure if I will find the time to check it today.

It doesn't matter much as modern cards have better texture compression, and you can barely find games that use more than ~6-7GB. For 4k+at max details in the most demanding titles, the GPU is still too weak.

It doesn't matter much as modern cards have better texture compression, and you can barely find games that use more than ~6-7GB. For 4k+at max details in the most demanding titles, the GPU is still too weak.
Exactly. This is marketed at a 1080p card. And at that res, there are VERY few games that can go over 8GB. Obviously if you play games with mods this isn't an ideal card, but for 1080p/ultra/60+ users, it will be plenty for years to come.

Don't believe the vRAM hype. Take an honest look at game reviews that show RAM use and you'll find a rare few that go past 8GB at 1080p. You can also lower settings to compensate if needed (though who wants to do that with a new card).

EDIT: ****.. wrong card.. this is a review from weeks ago...I'll update to say the 4070 is a 1080p/1440p card. Like 1080p, at 2560x1440 there are only a couple of titles that could go over it. It's plenty for 1080p/Ultra/165Hz, and 1440p/Ultra/120+

Last edited:
Back