• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

80mm fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DRaZZ

i got an 80mm fan from an old power supply, i just ripped it off the solder, it has 2 wires,
I have stripped the wires back and want to know if i can take a 2 pin connection thing, strip the wires on that, and install it to the 2 pin connector on my mobo, the little 2 pin plastic plug, is from a graphics card fan, a very small one. So would this be ok or am i bein dumb ?

Prolly a good idea to use a proper two pin connector attached to the mobo. The one form my GF4 don't fit on the mobo fan headers. You could also just splice it into one of your molex connectors (save you gettin a new plug).

for ****'s sake man. Buy a damn 5.25 plus Y-splitter and just hook the fan up to that. They cost all of a dollar.

easy enough if u live in a place where they r readily available, if there was an easy solution, dont u think i would have done that by now ???

its fits to the mobo, already checked, just wondering if its gunna blow anythin, or trip anythin. dont wanna lose any components, just landed outta work for the past month due to injury, cant really afford to be blowin stuff up right now !!!

DRaZZ said:
i got an 80mm fan from an old power supply, i just ripped it off the solder, it has 2 wires,
I have stripped the wires back and want to know if i can take a 2 pin connection thing, strip the wires on that, and install it to the 2 pin connector on my mobo, the little 2 pin plastic plug, is from a graphics card fan, a very small one. So would this be ok or am i bein dumb ?

how much current does that fan draw? would not want to burn out your mobo fan header.

i put that 80mm fan on my heatsink, temps went from 43 to 66, had to put old fan back, positioned the 80mm from the very side of the case blowing at the heatsink/fan, now temps r 41 .....those are idle temps. strange that the 80mm let temps get so high, but then this is a crappy coolermaster standard cheap naff heatsink/fan combo. Ah well, just have to wait till i can get slk800

Back