• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

80mm fanadapter -- it works!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sleddog

Just finished a 60-to-80mm fanadapter... something like this one http://www.overclockers.com/tips238/ but for a PAL6035. It's a Mark I so it's kind of ugly, but it works. Using an old, low-output 80mm psu fan (all I have available) it's knocked a couple degrees off CPU temps, but better still it's so quiet! Not having a high-rpm 60mm fan in the case makes a *world* of difference.

Colin

Arctic Silver Senior
I’ll vouch for that. I made one out of a 24 oz Budweiser can for a Cooler Master HS. It worked great. I suspect I will do the same for the FOP 32 that’s going in my Linux box.

Tomsawyer

reostats work wonders too. My 120's work great at half speed but if need be i can turn my case into an airboat :)

OP
S

sleddog

Yup, rheostats are the next step, plus some decent fans (mine are all recycled psu ones). Right now I have fans wired 7v/12v on toggle switches -- one switch for the CPU fan and one switch for the 80mm intake and exhaust fans together. Switching everything to 7v is like stealth mode -- the hum from the deep freezer in the next room is louder than the computer sitting next to me. And I keep a CPU temp of about 39C (with seti c/l running plus browser and a few other apps, room temp 19C).