• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

80mm or 92mm on SLK-800?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wakkadss

Registered
I have an AthlonXP [email protected] DLT3C and using an Igloo 2500Pro HSF. Right now I'm getting 46idle and about 55 load which is pretty HIGH. I wanted to get a better cooler to push it a little further, maybe 2400 or even 2500. But I don't want a train under my desk. I was looking to buy an SLK-800 but don't know which fan to choose. I've been looking at the 80mm Smart Fan 2 or the 92mm Thermaltake TT-9025 56CFM @ 35dB. It would make more sense to get the 92mm since it's going to push more air but I read a post somewhere about a dead spot in the middle of the 92mm fan an that it won't work well for 80mm heatsinks. (92mm fans will fit the SLK-800 by the way) Can anyone give me some advice? I just want a good performing fan for the SLK-800 but something that won't drive me crazy because of it's loudness. Thanks.

1Time

I'm using the SLK-800 with a 92mm Zalman but I have it suspended about 1/2 inch above it, not attached. I wanted better and more quiet cooling than I could get with an 80mm fan and found it easier to suspend the fan with 2-sided 3M tape than it was to try to get the thing attached to the HS. There doesn't seem to be that much of a dead spot with the Zalman as compared to an 80mm fan, but to help offset it I attached a very short aluminum shroud I made to it to help funnel the air more directly to the HS. I've heard some 92mm fans could be attached to the SLK-800 but it may work better with certain fans and you may need to work at getting it attached, maybe even bending those wires a little.

Edit: I tried getting my Zalman on and two other 92mm fans I had laying around, but didn't want to bend the wires and thought it better to suspend my Zalman anyway.

glock19owner

wakkadss said:
I have an AthlonXP [email protected] DLT3C and using an Igloo 2500Pro HSF. Right now I'm getting 46idle and about 55 load which is pretty HIGH. I wanted to get a better cooler to push it a little further, maybe 2400 or even 2500. But I don't want a train under my desk. I was looking to buy an SLK-800 but don't know which fan to choose. I've been looking at the 80mm Smart Fan 2 or the 92mm Thermaltake TT-9025 56CFM @ 35dB. It would make more sense to get the 92mm since it's going to push more air but I read a post somewhere about a dead spot in the middle of the 92mm fan an that it won't work well for 80mm heatsinks. (92mm fans will fit the SLK-800 by the way) Can anyone give me some advice? I just want a good performing fan for the SLK-800 but something that won't drive me crazy because of it's loudness. Thanks.

The 80mm Tt2 fan pushes 75cfm, while the 92mm only pushs 56cfm...I have tried both and the 80mm Tt2 cools by far better...with my SLK-800 and a Tt2 fan I idle at 1 to 2c over ambience and only around 7c at full load...and it is not as noisy as you think it is...

OP
W

wakkadss

Registered
Thanks a lot everyone. I appreciate yor input. I guess the Tt2 is good in that it offers extra cooling when I need it albeit LOUD (75cfm + 48dB = LOUD!!!). But the 92mm Tt offers 56cfm and a very quiet 35dB. I guess I will keep reading and make up my mind. Thanks again.

wannaoc, here is a link to Tt website about the Tt2.
http://www.thermaltake.com/datasheets/a1357SmartFan2.pdf

Last edited:

larva

Inactive Moderator
The key factor is static air pressure. A 53cfm 92mm fan has markedly less static air pressure than a 53cfm 80mm fan. Heatsink applications are more sensitive to static air pressure than they are airflow. This means that a 80mm fan rated at a lower airflow will equal the temperatures of the the 92mm fan. Try the Thermaltake TT-8025 80mm case fan rated at 37cfm/30dBa. It will equal the temps of a your proposed 35dBa 92mm fan with less noise.

Zoilo

Once Bitten, Twice Shy
wakkadss said:
Thanks a lot everyone. I appreciate yor input. I guess the Tt2 is good in that it offers extra cooling when I need it albeit LOUD (75cfm + 48dB = LOUD!!!). But the 92mm Tt offers 56cfm and a very quiet 35dB. I guess I will keep reading and make up my mind. Thanks again.

wannaoc, here is a link to Tt website about the Tt2.
http://www.thermaltake.com/datasheets/a1357SmartFan2.pdf

You think the SF2 is loud? Try hearing the 92mm Tornado @ 56dBA! I agree with larva, though. if you're going to have 56CFM, I would suggest an 80mm fan for it as it will definitely cool it much better.

wannaoc

Hmm that looks like the fan on my CoolMod and this thing doesn't cool worth a s**t. I think it is mainly the sink though but it really isn't that loud compared to others I've used.

kamz

i have a 93 mm, and it cools my jiuhb 1800xp 200*11.5 at 1.75, my tyemps neva go over 41 on idel or max load...

i have a ystec running at 2800-3100 pushing 48cfm...

N

nerdlogic

If you want good noise level with airflow around 50CFM, go with an 80mm fan.

N

nerdlogic

Because of the air pressure. Well, it's answered in the other thread, so I won't reiterate here.

glock19owner

SLK-800A...SYSTEM TEMPS 31c:

92mm Pano Fan...idle 38c...full load 46c
80mm Tts fan...idle 32c...full load...38c...

Running Toast for 20 minutes as high priorty for full load temps...

Like everyone is saying and keeps saying...80mm Tt2 fans are great for the SLK-800...the 80mm Tornado will do better, but will also be screaming at you...

You won't be disapointed getting a Tt2 80mm fan...and this is also with AS, not AS3...

OP
W

wakkadss

Registered
Thanks a lot everyone. You guys made a believer out of me. I'm getting myself an SLK-800 and a Tt2 fan. Thanks a lot.

arnoldma

glock19owner u did tell us the CFM and the noise level of the 92mm Pano Fan and the 80mm smartfan 2... or have u managed to keep them the same?