• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8370 OCing, New to OCing.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

durtyzerg

So I have been reading some guides and such and decided I wanna give it a shot though I still feel others input will be nice to have.

Mobo = Gigabyte GA-970-ud3p

Cpu = 8370

GPU = R9380

Ram = 1600 Corsair Ballistix (sport I think)

800W Rosewill PSU

HAF X Case

H100i CPU cooler

Fan setup = Front side and rear intake, 230mm/200mm/140mm. 2x 200mm top exhaust.

Haven't done anything yet. Also the ambient temp of my room is pretty high right now as im running a heater cuz its cold. Temps on normal days range from 15c-19c usually. Think the highest temp i've seen under load is 44c so far. Don't know what other info is useful

5HYmpT5.png

Think ideally would like to hit a stable 4.7 or 4.8 if possible, don't think i'd go any higher than that.

Last edited:
for starters, you ram is in single channel, please drag out your motherboard manual and make sure you have it installed correctly.
after that restart your system and get into bios and make sure the ram is set to dual channel mode, this is the one thing that matters with ram, outside of benchmarking.

- - - Updated - - -

am I thinking of another gigagyte board?
I don't remember it being 8+2, nor do i remember the heatsinks on the vrm.
thanks Kenrou for the link I'll fix it.

If hes only going for 4.7ghz-4.8ghz which should be around the maximum for that cooling, even an basic AMI BIOS would do ;)

8+2 Vrm on that board should be sufficient, the question is does the BIOS have the necessary features. This is always the crapshoot with Giga. On what CD said you're in single channel mode with the ram, it looks like you're running 4x4g sticks so something is awry. This should be fixed before you start Ocing.

If hes only going for 4.7ghz-4.8ghz which should be around the maximum for that cooling, even an basic AMI BIOS would do ;)
Unless you have a below average chip like mine requiring a stout board such as the Sabertooth you and I own ;)

Though, in this case that doesn't look like it right now.

8+2 Vrm on that board should be sufficient, the question is does the BIOS have the necessary features. This is always the crapshoot with Giga. On what CD said you're in single channel mode with the ram, it looks like you're running 4x4g sticks so something is awry. This should be fixed before you start Ocing.

Uhm..theres no option to turn on dual channel in the BIOS. As a matter of fact windows says 8GB is hardware reserved of the 16GB and i have yet to figure out how to change this. I have done a lot of suggestions with it and none worked, tested sticks individually and all seem well..but as soon as 4 are in there it does that. I honestly don't know what the deal with the RAM is..even took the mobo out and redid everything just to make sure I didn't overtighten the cooler or something.

From the guides I read the MOBO has all the features needed to OC.

It is 4x4 sticks, all are Corsair Ballistix, all ordered together, same part # etc..

I took out 2 sticks and now its in Dual Channel mode. Dunno if losing 8gb of ram is gonna be worth an overclock though :\..

Seems that two of these sticks do not have XMP enabled ? Thats the only difference on the stickers on them between the two thats in dual channel..same part # except two say XMP 1.3 CHINA and two don't.

From what I understand the turbo boost on this CPU is 4.3, if I were to get it to 4.8 stable would I even honestly notice a difference ?

I'm really confused about the RAM not working in dual channel with all 4. I did the DIMMS correctly as manual said and the RAM was ordered all together at once.

Last edited:
The last time I saw this issue it was a bent pin on the Cpu, the board was reading single channel mode and only half of the available memory was showing.

The last time I saw this issue it was a bent pin on the Cpu, the board was reading single channel mode and only half of the available memory was showing.

I contacted crucial. I will look at the CPU pins tomorrow I suppose but I have a feeling the ram is mismatched somehow. The fact two sticks says XMP 1.3 and two don't but being identical otherwise is probably the cause. The bios detects all the ram, as well as every other program. To be honest after playing a few games and general internet browsing it seems to be slightly snappier. Just feel more comfortable with 16gb I suppose. If anything will probably end up buying 2x8gbs soon if Crucial cannot explain it and cpu pins seem fine. Tried every other work around posted on the internet already.

what os version are you running? windows could be limiting the amount, i think win 7 home premium has an 8 gig cap. to be honest, unless youre coding large programs or editing audio/video or doing some other crazy stuff you wont need more than 8 gigs.

what os version are you running? windows could be limiting the amount, i think win 7 home premium has an 8 gig cap. to be honest, unless youre coding large programs or editing audio/video or doing some other crazy stuff you wont need more than 8 gigs.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Been reading that its better to run two sticks anyway as it can only talk to one per channel at a time and less stress.

About to start messing with the OC some.

I contacted crucial. I will look at the CPU pins tomorrow I suppose but I have a feeling the ram is mismatched somehow. The fact two sticks says XMP 1.3 and two don't but being identical otherwise is probably the cause. The bios detects all the ram, as well as every other program. To be honest after playing a few games and general internet browsing it seems to be slightly snappier. Just feel more comfortable with 16gb I suppose. If anything will probably end up buying 2x8gbs soon if Crucial cannot explain it and cpu pins seem fine. Tried every other work around posted on the internet already.

Have you tried the two kits separately? If both kits run in dual channel separate it's not likely the ram is bad. It is possible that they are slichtly different. Have you checked the SPD for both sets?

Have you tried the two kits separately? If both kits run in dual channel separate it's not likely the ram is bad. It is possible that they are slichtly different. Have you checked the SPD for both sets?

I have, the set without XMP on the silver plate still stays in single channel. When I try them one at a time it reads 4GB and boots but with both in the proper DIMMS its still single. I don't know if one of them is faulty or what..I tried both 1+3 and 2+4. The other set loads dual channel. The SPD is identical for all of them, same timings etc..my guess is one of these two sticks is faulty or my mobo just doesn't like them. Apparently I was never using that extra 8gb anyway since it was being hardware reserved.

Crucial suggested turning on Interweaving and such but I've already tried all of this before to get it unreserved, I even tried lowering the speed to 1333 but it makes no difference.

Still haven't messed with anything yet, went looking around in my BIOS and it seems every setting mentioned in the guide is there. Now that the RAM is in dual channel i'm ready to begin ?

Last edited:
Sounds like what you said either the sticks or board don't like each other.

Back